Possible job opportunity out of the blue

Specialties School

Published

I just found out that a very small private school in my town (four blocks from my house to be exact) is looking for a part time school nurse next school year M-F 10-2. Those hours are dreamy. I would drive my 7th and 5th grade kids to school and then come home, have a leisurely morning and walk to work, be home before they need to be picked up from school.

My current school is a 30 minute drive from where I live on a good day. I drop my kids at school 30 minutes early so I can get here on time. Currently I work 8-1:30 which I love, but next year they want me to work until 3:30 I already said I can't but agreed to do 2:30. For the 2019-2020 school year we are moving to the upper school campus so it would be me, one other nurse and 1,000 students. This private school only has grades K-8 and only 10-15 kids per grade.

I currently make a lot for a school nurse, plus with my added extra hour next Fall, I qualify for FT benefits, so I will have all of our health care covered which is HUGE. But I have been worrying about how to manage my added hour with my own kids' dismissal times, being in new schools (both are in new schools next year), etc. And I already KNOW that if my current school asks me to go FT, I will say no. FT at my school is 7:05 - 4:45. No thanks!!!

So I am applying for this position and am going to see what happens. It is hard when I absolutely LOVE my current job, but I know next year is the last year that they will allow me to continue with PT hours. If this new opportunity is available now, makes sense to do it!

Thoughts? Advice?

Specializes in kids.
We have seen the same in my district. People come in expecting an "easy desk job" and once they learn that it's not they run.

I had a parent beg me to allow her to be a sub. She had good references. I had worked with her previously. She was little quirky but, hey who isnt?

Ya, she spent one morning with me, said it was awesome, and NEVER SHOWED UP the day she was supposed to sub!!! Said she was too busy, we must have gotten the day wrong etc and please take her off the list.:sarcastic:

Specializes in ICU/community health/school nursing.
UPDATE:

Super bummed! I dropped off my resume and cover letter on my way home from work yesterday and they mentioned that the position had just been offered to a candidate that morning and she accepted. I have no idea how long the position had been posted since I found it accidentally. Anyway, I left pretty disappointed. I got a call from the Head of School an hour later telling me how impressed she was with my resume and asked if we could meet anyway in case their situation changed. So I guess that is still a positive. I have to keep reminding myself that I love my current job and was not looking to leave, just that this opportunity was too good to not apply for. I guess it wasn't meant to be. Oh well.

Your feelings tell you that this is probably the right route for you, then. Take that meeting and keep in touch....you never know. Good luck!

+ Add a Comment