Private duty nurse? Home health?

Specialties Private Duty

Published

Hey guys,

I just got hired as a private duty nurse. It's still considered home health, but with only 1 patient (different kind of insurance). When I spoke to the case manager she said that the patient had 6 hours weekly but didn't have any specific care instructions for the patient. She said that when she was in the field a lot of the time it was just going to the patients home and just being there.... anybody ever had something like this?

The case manager should give you report and there should be a 485 care plan to follow. And only 6 hours a week seems odd for nursing services. There has to be a reason for a skilled nurse such as GT, trach, vent, IV medication, and/or would care. I've often done a wound care visit on a weekend but I'm only there for the amount of time it takes to change the dressing. I've also done an IV antibiotic visit but I would leave after the infusion was complete.

Specializes in School Nursing, Home Health.

Yes, U.S.

And there is a plan of care in place. It was the doctor who referred the patient to get skilled nursing visits. Honestly, I'm going to try to stick it out for the summer since pay is good and will probably go back to my other HH agency in August because this patient doesn't really need that many hours. Unless the case manager decreases hours.

Specializes in School Nursing, Home Health.

Guys, just letting you all know I am going back to the previous HH agency. They were just more concrete and worked better with my schedule.

Thank you all for your input!

+ Add a Comment