Anyone Know About Getting a Law Degree?

Nurses Recovery

Published

So I have seen so much about nurses getting done really crappy by the monitoring agencies and BON's. Has anyone considered getting a Law degree? If so what is your opinion? What do lawyers who may have previously been in healthcare think about transitioning from health care to health care law? What advice would they give? Just wondering!

Specializes in OR.

The bit with the monitoring contracts comes down to simple contract law. These things are written just ambiguous enough, that the monitoring agencies can get away with pretty much anything they want to. If you want to take them on, you've got to have both the cojones and the money for the lawyer.

I don't think it's so much as people getting a raw deal by the actual BON. It's that any nurse with an issue is shunted to the monitoring outfit to do with as they see fit. I honestly think that it's the monitoring programs that need a massive overhaul. From the the evaluation process to the contracts to how people are treated. Where the need for legal representation comes in is when the programs run roughshod over people for no other reason than the known ethical and money grab issues.

Even the few law firms that I know of that focus on healthcare law, the branch that takes on these programs is not large and I think is primarily comprised of the ability to do letters and phone calls to make polite reminders to not do illegal things. Funny how nobody will listen to us but they'll listen to an attorney.

There is certainly a place for monitoring programs, no arguing that point. There has to be some means to well, monitor folks who are trying to get back on thier feet or who maybe should not be practicing at all.

As far as any advice any person who transitioned to healthcare law might say? Same thing they all say....don't speak or sign a darn thing to any investigator or program until you call them. I know I wish I had.

If I were younger, I might consider it. But, I'm not.

I guess my thoughts are financial in origin. I think you could have a section of your practice devoted to helping folks like us, maybe that could be your passion? Then, have the majority of your practice devoted so something more lucrative. Addiction tends to make people broke, or 'rock bottom,' if you will. It could maybe be a 'pay it forward' kinda thing. But, you're gonna need to make money elsewhere to fund this passion. And you'll need to eat, have a roof over your head, cover over head of an office, employees.

+ Add a Comment