Retired Registered School Nurse ... hero

Specialties School

Published

Retired School Nurse, Peggy Phillips, performed CPR and tried to save the life of a woman (who later died) on a Southwest Boeing 737 flight from New York to Dallas.

Officials said the left engine blew on Flight 1380 roughly 20 minutes after it left LaGuardia Airport on Tuesday en route for Dallas.

Nurse recalls effort to save killed Southwest passenger - NY Daily News

Central Texas man tried to save woman sucked out jet's shattered window (this link misprints Ms. Phillips first name)

Specializes in School nursing.
Tragic story of course, but I didn't know she was a school nurse. I fly often and wonder what I would do in case of emergency on an airplane since I don't have certain skills other nurses have.

I think our skill might be of more use because we are nurses that don't have access to most hospital equipment and have to think on our feet - which is basically what one can do on an airplane.

I was on a plane once when they asked if there were any medical professionals on board. I was the only one and checked in with a passenger. A minor issue, thankfully! But they still needed my license number after the encounter, something I didn't even think about.

This woman and the other man that helped are heroes in my book, even with the tragic results. And hats off to the crew. I can't even imagine...

+ Add a Comment