What can I take...?

Nurses Recovery

Published

Quick question. I never thought I had allergies, but I guess I do. & bad ones. So bad where my eyes are bloodshot, watery, my nose won't stop running, I'm sneezing etc. What I can't take are my eyes. They burn, itch, and hurt so bad. So, my question is what can I take without making a positive drug test at the same time? Any recommendations?

Specializes in PDN; Burn; Phone triage.

I took plain Zyrtec and Claritin (not the -d formulation), usually stacked with tylenol, and never had an issue. And used a nettipot for congestion.

Ok. Do you know anything about Alegra? I only ask because I have some here. It doesn't appear to have anything, but just asking.

Specializes in PDN; Burn; Phone triage.
Ok. Do you know anything about Alegra? I only ask because I have some here. It doesn't appear to have anything, but just asking.

Plain Allegra was on our acceptable list of OTC medicines to take -- I was in Kansas' program. I think it would be fine. Anything -d will show up as amphetamines though.

Specializes in OR.

Ditto...straight up Allegra or Claritin. No -D anything. The D indicates pseudoephedrine as in amphetemine, Which is on the no-no list, along with real Sudafed and any other cold/allergy stuff from behind the pharmacy counter.

What I still think is hilarious is that when I was inexplicably sentenced to that ****hole "rehab"/summer camp from hades whatever you want to call it, I had all kinds of sinus allergies because it was a filthy, dirty, nasty, moldy (feel free to add any other adjectives) gross place. I went to the "clinic" aka back office run by a doc and a couple of nurses who were former clients of the place and what was I prescribed? Allegra-D. 4 years later, I'm still shaking my head....

+ Add a Comment