ICU to OB or Med Surg to OB

Specialties Ob/Gyn

Published

Im a new grad with the opportunity to interview for the ICU and Possibly the Med surg nurse resident position. My heart has always been in OB nursing, my question is which would be a better path to get into L&D if I get offered both positions.... like which would make me more marketable and an easier transition? I did however enjoy ICU in my senior preceptorship.

I hate to say it but I am your future, as I went in as a new grad in med surg, moved on to tele and now wanting to go into OB before I start grad school. I work for the top paying hospital network in California and I am having a hard time getting into L&D, and don't want to leave to go get experience. Ugh.

Specializes in Coronary Care.

Vote for ICU! I graduated nursing school in 2015, accepted a job in ICU. I've learned SO much in that time frame. Accepted a job in L&D today! I think the critical thinking skills and reaction times you develop in the ICU will help in L&D because things can go bad quickly. I like to think I'll be able to transfer those skills over.

wow! Im sorry!! that really is a shame, hopefully it works out for you soon :)

Yes I was thinking the same think, but I have been hearing the opposite. Thank you, also Ive heard how hard ICU is, I know its hard I had my preceptorship there, but Im also a very determined person.

Specializes in Reproductive & Public Health.

I'd vote for ICU too. L&D is a different animal than other types of nursing, but ICU nursing can prepare you for the one-to-one, high acuity hands-on care that is needed in L&D, especially in the high risk cases. Even a normal, straightforward delivery requires high situational awareness and the ability to identify and immediately respond to changes in status. Things can go wrong in a blink of an eye, and you will be the first responder in almost every circumstance. You have to do something about that prolapsed cord RIGHT NOW, you know?

And high risk OB patients can be incredibly complex, practically ICU level in some cases.

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership.

My opinion is that either position would give you valuable skills that would translate well to a later OB role.

+ Add a Comment