Transition from ER RN to Tele RN

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hi,

I am thinking of going from an ER RN to a Tele RN. Has anyone done this and what was your experience? I have been in emergency medicine for over 10 years and want a change. It would also be a better schedule for me as well. I am just wondering what it's like and if anyone has gone from an ER to Telemetry what their experience was like. Thanks!!!

That would be an unusual transition, but you could give it a shot.

What about trying for a Cath Lab or special procedures? Maybe OR? Sometimes those areas pay a higher wage differential, and you wouldn't have to deal with any family members. Plus the patient would usually be sedated

Unusual bc it would be easier? I would get paid the same. The positions you suggested are based on seniority where I work. Although I would love to, I am far from having that seniority...

Unusual bc it would be easier? I would get paid the same. The positions you suggested are based on seniority where I work. Although I would love to, I am far from having that seniority...

Its not necessarily easier. If its unusual, its probably unusual mainly in that ED jobs are somewhat more sought after than Tele jobs, so not too many people make the jump in that direction. That said, back when I worked med surg, we had two nurses that I remember who came from the ED. One had sloppy habits and ran into continued problems in the more rigid Tele environment. Another was cool under pressure and a valuable source of information on many occasions.

The charting may drive you nuts. The rules and regulations are often laid on thicker. And it may be frustrating to have less easy access to doctors than youre used to. On the other hand, the combative, manipulative, med-seeking and similar behaviors you might see in some EDs should be less common (though still present) in a Tele setting.

+ Add a Comment