I Did a Stupid STUPID Thing.

Specialties School

Published

Guys,

Please please no judgement since I've already said everything that could be said to myself.

Had a student with a history of cutting waiting in my office while a counselor was available to do a threat assessment done. Well I had to use the restroom really really bad because I had been swamped all day.

Went to the restroom and she was gone. Had to look thru security cameras call parents ect. She's fine, parents aren't mad and I've already told my supervisor so it doesn't get around to her. BUT I feel like such an idiot. Stupid STUPID move. I'm so glad she is okay. I will NEVER leave a student alone. EVER. And I never should have done that ! But it is done and I can't do anything.

My adrenaline has finally gone down but I still have a knot in my throat and still feel guilty.

Any lessons any of you have learned the hard way?

Specializes in NICU.

Oh cutting ? that cutting, .....Ohhhh I thought the post meant cutting class...Yikkes.

Look even nurses have to pee,contrary to what you were taught in nursing school.You are not stupid,.. if you peed yourself..well, that ..would have been stupid.

Specializes in Psychiatric Nursing.

Please don't beat yourself up over this. Use this as a teaching experience. I have dealt with many cutters in the past. This doesn't mean the patient is necessarily suicidal. Cutting is usually a release for anxiety or a cry for attention. Most cutters are borderline personality disorder, and there is no med for this, only counseling. Most likely the best outcome would have been active listening and validation of feelings. Then schedule a session with a therapist. Don't beat yourself up, it happens.

Wait... going to the bathroom while you're at work? That's stealing! You obviously don't have enough to do.

Kidding.

I work in acute child/adolescent psych, and some days are dominated by moments of, "What the hell did I just do?!" You are obviously competent and you care. Think of this as a message from a higher power advising you to pee more proactively, and be done with it.

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

It happens, don't beat yourself up, just do what you can and move on. You learned from your mistake and now know better.

+ Add a Comment