From L&D to Post Partum

Specialties Ob/Gyn

Published

Specializes in L&D.

Hello, everyone!

I have been full-time on labor and delivery for a year and a half. I am moving to a position where I get to do both L&D and postpartum, about as equal shifts as I can do.

I am new to having multiple patients, as well as all the things postpartum nurses do that L&D nurses typically do not. I am new to the bilirubin screening and 24 hour things that need to be done.

How do you postpartum nurses organize yourselves? What is something I should remember that is important? I feel that it's hard to keep all this information in your head at once. I typically need to refer to my brain sheet to remember everything.

I am pretty rusty with breastfeeding, too. I know the basics. We have night shift lactation now (hallelujah!), so that helps.

I'm full-time nights.

Specializes in LDRP.

I typically make a brain sheet with 6 boxes on it. One box for mom and one for baby. I put pertinent info on it as well as a check list of things that need to be done this shift. My checklist for baby usually includes things like: Assessment, weight, vitals, bath, PKU/Bili, feeds, etc. I also designate times to check feeds/output. Our moms have a feeding log they are supposed to fill out when they feed. Moms is usually: Assessment, fundal checks, meds, blood work. I usually round at 2000, 0000, 0400 and 0600 to check on feeds and amount of wet diapers. I lump other cares in with those times. I do my mom's fundal checks at 2000, 0000, and 0400. Q4 vitals on mom and baby are done at the same times.

Once I do something on my check list, I put a check mark next to it. Once I chart it, I draw a line through it.

+ Add a Comment