Lead Cleaning Policy?

Specialties Radiology

Published

My institution recently recognized that we don't have a standardized policy for cleaning personal lead and we'd like to develop a policy. I can't find anything in Joint Commission or CMS standards about it, so I'm looking to benchmark with other places. How frequently does personal lead get cleaned at your facility? And what products do you use to clean them?

Thanks!

Editorial Team / Admin

Rose_Queen, BSN, MSN, RN

6 Articles; 11,662 Posts

Specializes in OR, Nursing Professional Development.

Have you reached out to the manufacturer of your lead? They may be able to guide you, especially as recommendations may vary by manufacturer. My facility actually has lead from multiple manufacturers, so depending on which lead you have determines the cleaning process- spot clean as needed, full wipe down monthly with peroxide wipe is what those with lead in my department will do. As for other departments, they will have their own policies to develop.

Specializes in PICU, Sedation/Radiology, PACU.
Have you reached out to the manufacturer of your lead? They may be able to guide you, especially as recommendations may vary by manufacturer. My facility actually has lead from multiple manufacturers, so depending on which lead you have determines the cleaning process- spot clean as needed, full wipe down monthly with peroxide wipe is what those with lead in my department will do. As for other departments, they will have their own policies to develop.

I have reached out to them. They recommend cleaning with warm water and mild detergent as needed. However, I highly doubt a

PRN cleaning policy would fly with The Joint Commission, especially considering the frequency with which we care for patients with communicable illness, perform procedures that could result in unseen splashing or spraying, and how we co-mingle the lead which could lead to cross contamination.

+ Add a Comment