Clinical Program Manager?

Specialties Management

Published

I saw this job opportunity for a behavioral health. Do any of you hold this position? From the job description sounds a lot like a program director( some of the responsibilities listed are staff development- educational plans/ budget/ research/ consultant and expert resource) Would a nurse manager report to the Clinical Program Manager?

Im unsure of where exactly does a Clinical Program manager stand in the chain of command and would like to figure it out before I apply and make a fool out of myself ;) I worked as a nurse manager and nurse supervisor but I don't want to apply to a position that is "out of my league" although I have all the required qualification so maybe Im selling myself short...

thank you!

Specializes in ED, ICU, MS/MT, PCU, CM, House Sup, Frontline mgr.

This position reads like a nurse leadership position, where the nurse leader either may not have direct reports and runs a small program for a small facility or department or this position has direct reports, who are clinical nurse educators, and runs a big program for a big facility. So, no, I do not think a nurse manager would report to this position.

Rather this position may be equal to that of a senior leader (in the case of a big facility), equal to a nurse manager (in the case of a small facility), or this position reports to a nurse manager (in the case of a department). Your best bet is to ask the HR rep of the organization that posted the position.

In my experience in psych, program managers are typically non-nurses, and have administrative responsibility for a unit or program. For instance, in some of the psych units in which I've worked, there was a nurse manager, who reported to the overall hospital DON, and a program manager who was a psychologist or social worker and reported to the overall hospital (non-nursing) administration. The NM and program director collaborated on running the unit or program, with the NM directly responsible for the nursing care provided, and the program director directly responsible for everything else.

In my experience in psych, program managers are typically non-nurses, and have administrative responsibility for a unit or program. For instance, in some of the psych units in which I've worked, there was a nurse manager, who reported to the overall hospital DON, and a program manager who was a psychologist or social worker and reported to the overall hospital (non-nursing) administration. The NM and program director collaborated on running the unit or program, with the NM directly responsible for the nursing care provided, and the program director directly responsible for everything else.

When i worked in psych we had a program manager and he was a social worker but our nursing manager seemed to report to him. This position asks for a nurse with a master's degree so i was confused where it would fit with the nurse manager (the facility also has an assiatant nurse manager and a nursw manager positions listed, which in and of itself makes me wonder why are all the leadership positions open. Probably a good question to ask during an interview

Specializes in ED, ICU, MS/MT, PCU, CM, House Sup, Frontline mgr.
.... the facility also has an assiatant nurse manager and a nursw manager positions listed, which in and of itself makes me wonder why are all the leadership positions open. Probably a good question to ask during an interview

Yes, a very good question to ask!!

Specializes in Hospice, corrections, psychiatry, rehab, LTC.

Generally job announcements list the minimum qualifications. If you see a master's or doctorate in social work or psychology, you have your answer.

As far as reporting, in my state an RN must be supervised by another RN.

+ Add a Comment