Columbia vs. JHU for DNP

Nursing Students NP Students

Updated:   Published

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to decide between Columbia and Johns Hopkins for the AG Primary Care DNP. Both programs have pros and cons for me. I love that Hopkins is a small school and really focuses on serving vulnerable and underserved populations. However, Columbia is more price friendly for me because I could live at home and save on room and board. I also like that Columbia offers subspecialties and there is the potential to obtain a paid residency during your last year.

Has anyone had any experience with either program? Any advice or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Specializes in Psychiatric and Mental Health NP (PMHNP).

Congratulations! What a wonderful choice to have!

Columbia and JHUSON are both great programs. You can't go wrong with either one. If you can save money by going to Columbia, definitely go that route. In addition, if you plan to stay in NYC, then Columbia would be a better choice, as you will likely get at least one job offer from a clinical rotation.

I obtained my Adult and Geri Primary Care MSN NP from JHUSON in 2016, before they moved to an all-DNP program. I am extremely happy with my JHUSON experience. JHUSON faculty and administration are very committed to student success and maintaining a high graduation rate, so they are very supportive of students. The curriculum is rigorous. My clinical placements were all excellent. JHUSON does try to work with students to accommodate reasonable personal preferences for placements. My classmates were nice and supportive and it is easy to make friends with a bit of effort. Almost everyone got a job offer from one of their clinical placements. Overall, Baltimore is very affordable and a quick train ride to Washington DC, Philly, and NYC.

Note: JHUSON makes it clear that you are expected to have a car. The primary care placements are spread around the area and not all of them are accessible via public transportation. I know an international student that didn't have a car, so the school was willing to work with her. However, if you are an American, they will not be happy if you can't go to a rotation due to lack of transportation.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Thanks so much for your input FullGlass! Yes, they did mention the car bit to me which wasn't a problem since I have one. Were you able to work throughout your education with the rigorous curriculum? While I did get a small scholarship from JHU, I still worry about taking out loans to cover the cost of living (e.g. room and board) for 3 years. Columbia's tuition costs more, but not more than having to get an apartment and pay for food for the next 3 years. I know both schools have an excellent reputation, and you're right - can't really go wrong with either one. It's just daunting having to choose one...I haven't had to make such a big commitment in a long time so I'm having a hard time making up my mind lol

1 Votes
Specializes in Psychiatric and Mental Health NP (PMHNP).
Thanks so much for your input FullGlass! Yes, they did mention the car bit to me which wasn't a problem since I have one. Were you able to work throughout your education with the rigorous curriculum? While I did get a small scholarship from JHU, I still worry about taking out loans to cover the cost of living (e.g. room and board) for 3 years. Columbia's tuition costs more, but not more than having to get an apartment and pay for food for the next 3 years. I know both schools have an excellent reputation, and you're right - can't really go wrong with either one. It's just daunting having to choose one...I haven't had to make such a big commitment in a long time so I'm having a hard time making up my mind lol

You are very welcome. :) I didn't work, because I didn't think I could handle it and I also won a Nurse Corps Scholarship for the last 16 months. However, many students did work until the last two semesters or the last semester, when everyone cut back on work or stopped working.

Some students worked as RNs and slowly tapered down their work hours as the NP clinical hours increased. Other students did work-study for 10 to 15 hours per week at $10 to $20 per hour the whole time. The work study jobs are generally pretty easy so students can even study while working.

Hopkins and Columbia students are mostly the typical overachievers, so everyone wants to get an A. Some of the classes have enormous amounts of reading (advanced patho), memorization (advanced pharma), and there is a lot of writing - a LOT. I studied, on average, 4 to 8 hours a day, including weekends, in addition to class time and clinical time.

At Hopkins, certain classes are only face to face, while others are offered in an optional online or hybrid format. It's nice to have the choice. I preferred the online, because then you could rewind and rewatch the lectures.

Take a trip to Baltimore. JHUSON does have open houses and even if they don't, if you call or email, I'm sure you can get a tour and meet with an admissions officer. Baltimore has a bad rap, but if you use some sense and stay out of bad areas, you should be fine. There is a certain "weirdness" about Baltimore, but it really grew on me! :) Baltimore is a college town, so there are lots of students and hangouts for young people and young professionals. The city is compact, so you can get around within the city quite well using public transportation or cycling or driving. JHU also has an excellent free shuttle that covers a wide area, including some suburbs.

Please apply for a Nurse Corps or NHSC Scholarship. If you get one, that's your full tuition plus a small living stipend of around $1400. I wish I had applied sooner. In addition, ask around at Hopkins because sometimes the professors get grants for scholarships and they don't always tell Financial Aid. One professor had $25,000 scholarships and Financial Aid didn't know about them.

With regard to loans, there are loan repayment and loan forgiveness programs you can apply for after graduation through NHSC and Nurse Corps. The catch is you must work in an underserved area with a high HPSA (Health Professional Shortage Area) score. These are not just rural areas - many medium to large cities have areas that qualify. In addition, some employers, like the VA, military, and some larger health systems, have loan repayment programs for employees.

I took a job at an FQHC in a rural area (because I personally am interested in rural and wilderness medicine) and it is eligible for loan repayment and forgiveness. However, many other cities in California, where I live are also, including parts of LA and San Fran, along with larger cities of 100,000 to 1,000,000 people in the interior portions of the state. In addition, these areas are low cost of living and often pay more than you can make in a big city. It's a great way to have an adventure while performing public service.

Go with your gut!

Thank you so much for your advice!

+ Add a Comment