Not sure where to go next need help fired from work with out notice

Nurses Relations

Published

Hey I'm not sure what else to do so I'm here . I've been an aide since oct 2016 with a clean record that I'm worried will be tarnish with this complaint . I was walked out of my job with out notice they just said a Resident had made a complaint an there was a pending investigation an they were not able to tell me anything on the issue that. I would receive a call the only thing I could think of was a resident band me from their room after being cussed out and called racial slurs and being hit twice granted after being threaten with being hit I did state that if there where going to hit me that there was nothing I could do the resident then hit me once an I did let them hit me again there where 3 other people in the room watching this happen two of them being orientees after being hit and called the N word I told the other girls that sometimes you have to take care of people even if they don't want you too I did not yell or cuss at the resident I spoke to them as calmly as I could but the resident didn't want to stop fighting so I left the room . Yes I should have ignored her and not answered her at all but I don't believe it was anything to be concerned about since this resident did this often an was know as beening hateful towards staff so I just reported it to the nurse who seemed unconcerned Well fast forward 5 days and no call . So I speak to the DON who had no idea I had been suspend but I was in my file that the admistor had chosen to fire me . I'm not sure what else to do

Specializes in CCU, SICU, CVSICU, Precepting & Teaching.

I read this post the day it first came out, and I couldn't understand the situation so I didn't answer. Apparently everyone else who has read the post had the same problem.

SRNA23, I hope your problem has been resolved by now. If it hasn't been, if you still want some input, please try rewriting your post so the situation is more clear. Grammar, spelling and punctuation help make it more clear.

Well basically I was fired with out notice over a verbal abuse actuation from a problematic resident there where 3 other people in the room the resident started cussing the moment we walked into the room then called me the n word after she hit me . They took it to state but the state guy I spoke to said it didn't sound like I abused her an that I made a mistake by not walking out of the room when the resident became hostile but with out mistakes how do we learn. I just wonder how long well it be till I get notice about the investigation

Specializes in Pedi.

Just so you know, when you're fired it's generally "without notice." When an employer fires you, that's immediately the end of your employment. They don't let you know "you're going to be fired in 2 weeks."

I would agree that it was a mistake to engage with this Resident and that you should have left the room when she started escalating but I'm not sure most employers would have fired you for this lapse in judgment. That said, employment in the United State is, by and large, at will and your employer doesn't need cause to terminate your employment.

Well basically I was fired with out notice over a verbal abuse actuation from a problematic resident there where 3 other people in the room the resident started cussing the moment we walked into the room then called me the n word after she hit me . They took it to state but the state guy I spoke to said it didn't sound like I abused her an that I made a mistake by not walking out of the room when the resident became hostile but with out mistakes how do we learn. I just wonder how long well it be till I get notice about the investigation

In our state, state won't speak to you unless there was a verbal exchange - verbal abuse is a serious complaint. You just state that you walk in the residents room and she starts cussing at you and is derogatory towards you. At that point, did you say anything to her. Residents can claim anything. If there were orientees with you surely they had to write a statement being that state was involved?

+ Add a Comment