Unknowingly speaking to a doc...

Specialties School

Published

Anyone else feel like a dummy after speaking to a parent, and you spoke to them in laymen's terms, and they turned out to be an MD and you had no idea?

Doc: Hi. This is Dudeman, LD's dad. I was told they hurt themselves?

Me: Oh yes, hi Mr. Dudeman. Yes they did.....(goes on to explain what happened and what I initially did and why we're calling back)

Doc: oh I totally understand. Thank you so much for letting us know and taking care of them. I'll make sure to bring some Dermabond home from the hospital today.

Me: *fumbles over my words as I realize they're a doctor* oh. yes. uh. that sounds great. I mean, that's probably all they would use if you took them to the dr. anyways...not that I think they need stitches...its hard to assess with my limited supplies...

Doc: *can hear the held back giggle in his voice* yes, and again thank you for helping my LD out today! We really appreciate it and you!!

Me: :o:facepalm::shy: :blink: you're so welcome! Bye bye now!

My dogs' vet put a note inside their charts that mom is an RN... speeds things up when we can all just talk medicalese! LOL

Lol, my kids' dentist did this too! However, it resulted in her slipping into medical speak and saying "drill" in front of the 6 year old~oops~

Specializes in Adult Internal Medicine.

My son has hit his head a few times and the school nurse has called me about "concussion education and awareness"; the most recent time she used my work number because I didn't answer my cell then apologized that she had talked to me in layman's terms the previous times. I told her that when it's my kid I want to hear things just like every other parent does. I tell his pedi the same thing.

Don't feel about about it! Parents want to be parents in that situation.

+ Add a Comment