Practicum Senior Year

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Hello,

I just wanted to start a discussion about where you chose your senior year practicum and what were the benefits and cons to the unit you picked.

I have been struggling with myself on where I want to pick because I have told myself many times that I want to become a NICU nurse; however, I have not begun my maternal/baby class yet. I am currently a junior student in a 4 year program and have only completed foundations and Med-surg clinicals. My med-surg clinical this past Fall semester gave us the opportunity to rotate to critical care areas (ICU, CVICU, and the PACU). I really enjoyed my time in the ICU and have been thinking about being a regular ICU nurses instead of a NICU nurse.

Again, I just want to know your experiences in the unit you picked for your senior practicum.

Thank you,

Samm

Specializes in NICU.

I chose a Level IV NICU for my Senior Practicum (Capstone Placement). I had a very short clinical during my Maternity rotation in their Level II NICU. I was excited to get an opportunity to be one-on-one with a nurse at the children's hospital's NICU. It was twelve 12 hr shifts and started off shadowing the nurse. Every shift was more and more hands on until the final shift where I was caring for two patients with general supervision (was available, but not watching over my shoulder), one of which was on a ventilator. That experience solidified my desire to pursue NICU post-graduation. I believe that it also helped me secure a position at another children's hospital in their Level IV NICU.

+ Add a Comment