Taking Job Hopping to a New Level

Nurses Nurse Beth

Published

Dear Nurse Beth,

I think I have taken job hopping to a new level. I am an RN of 27 years who has had ten jobs in the past eight years, some for as briefly as a few months. Seriously. The longest I have stayed at any of them was 2.5 years and that was a job doing phone triage from home that I also came to hate.

I can honestly say that I haven't liked any of these jobs; the responsibility of having people's lives in my hands, the emotional stress, the ridiculous workload (I had an acute dialysis position where I was sometimes required to work 20 hour days!) and feeling incompetent because I took several years off of nursing before jumping back into the pool eight years ago...and on and on and on.

I am currently working at a hospice inpatient unit which I also don't like, although I am, and always have been, very kind to my patients and their families because I don't blame them that I hate what I do. My employers have all liked me and were unhappy when I quit, but I just couldn't stand what I was doing.

So here is the same old million dollar question: I feel like I can't go on anymore in nursing but I can't find anything else that I'm qualified to do that would pay even close to what I'm making now and provide benefits, and I don't have the option of working somewhere that pays much less because my husband is currently laid off and finding it hard to find a job due to his age.

My job requires doing some laundry and dishes and these are actually my favorite part of the job because there's no stress and I don't have to be a nurse to do them.

Help! Am I stuck? I am getting really depressed and I don't know what to do. It is 7 am and I am already feeling depressed and anxious because I have to work tomorrow evening, not even today!

Dear Stuck,

Honestly, I feel that your best solution now is to re-frame your view. You need to work as a nurse to provide for your family so that's your starting point.

Rather than spending your energy looking for a high paying non-nursing job or letting your dissatisfaction take over, spend your energy focusing on what you do like about your job.You make a difference because you are kind. You get a mental break when you do laundry and wash dishes.:)

Sometimes I tell myself I am lucky to work an an inside job, when others work outside in the heat or the cold. Your job provides benefits for your and your husband, and that's huge.

Reinvent yourself at work. How can you make even more of a difference? Improve the unit, help others? You may not fall in love with your job, but you may find you no longer hate it, either.

Best wishes,

Nurse Beth

nurse-beth-purple-logo.jpg

Author, "Your Last Nursing Class: How to Land Your First Nursing Job"...and your next!

Being asked to suck it up and report to work is what is wrong with nursing. It is like being ordered to close your eyes and sleep with someone you can't stnd the sight of. I have been doing the same for a long time. Job hopping to the next safe environment, decent colleagues I could not find. We need to brainstorm for our colleague.

Depending on her age, experience, and training she could do a lot else. Her problem is, she wont make the same kind of money. It will also need some retraining or college as well as downsizing.

I got my masters and became an educator. The money is comparable and the stress is cyclical not daily. Home health is a catch 22. It pays well only if you work full time. Full time is very stressful as they chase you over the phone and there is call at all hours but it beats bedside.

Look into wound and ostomy care. Nursing homes will live you.

If you can, go back to college and become a PT or OT assistant. You will earn as much as an RN. Work in a gym and cut down on the stress. It is cheap as community college tuition is affordable.

Ask hubby to find any job he can to pay the bills.

Specializes in Medical Writer, Licensed Teacher & Nurse, BA Psych.

I have a similar background as yours in that whenever I did any kind of direct patient care, I did not last long and quit. I hated it. Fortunately, I do have a couple of other careers and additional education that I can fall back on.

It is clear you hate direct patient care. Get out. Don't waste anymore time doing it.

+ Add a Comment