Bending and Breaking the Rules in Nursing

I readily admit I have either bent or broken some rules that nurses are supposed to stringently uphold. However, I hope I'm not alone when I say that some of these rules seem so cold, bureaucratic and alien. If breaking a rule will make a patient's day a little brighter, if only for one moment, I will toss bureaucracy aside and do something that is normally forbidden. Specialties Geriatric Article

I believe rules can be bent at times. Heck, I feel that some rules can even be outright broken as long as doing so has brightened someone's day.

Billie is a pseudonym for the septuagenarian nursing home resident whom I first met seven years ago when I was a brand new nurse in long term care. She was a strikingly pretty model during her youth, and even as an elderly woman with a terminal prognosis, she still maintained a whimsical cuteness and a stylish flair through tasteful choices in makeup, haircuts, clothing and jewelry.

Billie received hospice services because her physician did not expect for her to live another six months due to advanced congestive heart failure. Although she barely stood five feet tall and weighed no more than 100 pounds, her lower extremities were chronically wet, weepy, heavy, discolored, swollen, and resembled crude elephant legs. Diuretic medications did not help to pull the extra fluid off. Neither did pressure wraps, sodium restrictions, or keeping the legs elevated. Keeping her comfortable was an uphill battle.

She suffered from mild cognitive impairment, but was very well-versed regarding her dietary restrictions. One day she asked me, with the impression of defeatism stamped on her face and a sense of sorrow prominent in her tone, "Will I ever be able to eat a hamburger again?"

My dark brown eyes made contact with her pale blue eyes. I realized some of the things that I, a young and reasonably healthy adult, take for granted are small pleasures that many elderly nursing home residents will never enjoy again. Most, if not all, of these people will never take another vacation to a faraway city, state or country. Some will forever lose the ability to walk. Others will be robbed of their ability to talk after having a stroke. Still, others will never be able to enjoy a tasty meal due to dysphagia, feeding tubes, pureed textures, restrictive diets, or the notoriously bland foodstuffs commonly served to institutionalized elders.

Some Rules Were Made To Be Broken I did something I should not have done. I broke a rule. During my lunch break I visited a local fast food joint and ordered a hamburger with extra tomatoes. Since Billie spent the vast majority of her time in her room due to depression, smuggling the burger to her was an easier feat than I had expected. Her eyes lit up with joy and anticipation.

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!" she exclaimed. She kept her door closed and picked at the burger for several hours, eating the fixings individually before finally polishing the sandwich off. This was the first hamburger she had eaten in several years.

Billie died a couple of months later. She passed quietly, serenely, on her bed in the nursing home surrounded by the hospice nurse, a nursing student, and myself. She had two attentive adult children who visited frequently, but they did not want to be present during her final hour.

I broke a rule by supplying an elderly resident under my care with an unhealthy food item. But if it alleviated some of the bleakness of her existence during her final days on earth, I feel no shame for doing what I did. To every rule there's an exception.

Specializes in MICU,SICU,Telemetry.

You and many of us have enrolled in " The National Nursing School of Common Sense. "

Specializes in Aged care, disability, community.

I got permission from the CN the other day to give a resident on a minced diet pancakes and maple syrup for breakfast. I ended up cutting them up as small as I can so that they were essentially minced and feeding them to her. Our facility is fantastic when it comes to food though as one of the philosophies of the place is that it's their home, and they can eat what they want so long as it's not going to cause major injury. This means that I've pureed or had the kitchen puree all sorts of foods, I've thickened alcohol and soft drink and even sat there whilst someone has munched on crushed ice.

I do make sure that I run anything I do like this past the CN though.

Specializes in Mental Health, Gerontology, Palliative.

Great article.

I remember a lady called A. I was doing the monthly weighs in my wing and saw that A had lost approx 7kgs in the previous month. Thinking it must have been a blip on the radar I reweighed A and found that in the previous 6 weeks she had lost almost 17 kilos.

A was an incredibly unwell lady amoung other things NIDIM and most likely the extreme weight loss was down to some form of CA, however did not go for investigations as she would not have been a candidate for surgery and unlikely to stands up to treatment

A was still on a diabetic diet with diabetic snacks. So I immediately changed up her diet and put her onto a high calorie, high protein diet and made it very clear that what ever this lady wanted to eat, give it to her. Didnt manage to get any weight back onto A but managed to slow the weight loss.

My other bug bear is when we have residents on moulied diets (pureed) and the lovely CNAs who really mean well sit there and mix up everything so its a plate of brown goop which can not be remotely appetizing. I decided to take it on and have started asking the CNAs not to mix up the foods so when Nana gets a mouthful its a mouthful of mashed potatos, or a mouthful of stew etc

Specializes in Mental Health, Gerontology, Palliative.
The dietary restrictions were continued at the insistence of the resident's slightly overbearing daughter.

I had one of those once. She got angry at me because I gave her mum PRN oxynorm liquid against her wishes. (Bear in mind the daughter had no medical/health training what so ever)

The mum had chest pain which didnt respond to paracetamol, GTN spray, or mylanta (just incase it was refered epigastric pain) as well as her charted nocte sedation. This lady was in pain her face was tense, her shoulders hunched and grimacing and just not moving and was certainly not sleeping.

I gave the oxynorm liquid and with 20 minutes the lady was visably relaxed, and sound asleep.

The helicopter daughter accused me of medicating to keep her mother quiet. I smiled sweetly and said "for that to be true your mother would have to be noisy and shes one of the quietest residents on this wing, I gave the medication because your mother was in pain with extremely good effect, the night staff report that she slept through for the first time in ages"

Fortunately the charge nurse was brilliant and had my back

Halfway through nursing school I found myself in the hospital with a cancer diagnosis. I was in denial that I was going to have to take at least the rest of that semester off. I can remember calling my instructor and explaining to her that I was going to delay treatment until Christmas break so I'd be back in class soon and her telling me that she was withdrawing me from her class so that I wouldn't wait. I was devastated.

I remember the nurse that came in that night better than any other nurse. She took one look at me and said, "You need a shower. You'll feel better after a shower." She then wrapped everything up so it wouldn't get wet and told me she was going to sneak me into the shower, since I wasn't supposed to be allowed.

She was right. I felt like a new person. It didn't make everything all better- but I felt like life might get back to normal some day. Later I ended up doing my clinical placement on that same unit. She didn't remember me, but I sure remembered her.

Sometimes that's what makes the difference between a good nurse and a great one - the ability to know when to bend the rules.