California new grad RN planning to work in Australia

World Immigration

Published

Hello all,

I plan to move to Australia and work for maybe 1-2 years, the reason is because as a new grad I can not find any jobs here in California (they want experienced nurses) unfortunately it is very competitive for new grads at the moment. I've heard Australia hires a lot of new nurses because of your shortage, so I hope to gather a lot of experience from Australia, so that when I come back to California my chances of getting hired are much greater. In the meantime, I have come up with some questions which I hope some of you can answer:

1. What is the process I have to go through in order to be registered to work there and how long will it take?

2. What is the starting rate for New grad RN's?

3. Are there any hospitals in Australia that are affiliated with hospitals in California?

4. Is this a wise decision regarding my career path?

5. How good/bad are the chances of getting hired as a New Grad RN?

6. What is your advice and tips?

This will be a huge change for me, but I am very excited and willing to make it work, housing will not be an issue because I have a lot of family down there.

Thank you in Advance

Just wondering why I am reading that so many Filipino nurses are receiving work in Australia? Was there a shortage at one point like how there was one in the U.S. years ago?

They were, now not. New grads are not getting a look in and many are not getting approval from AHPRA without 3 months experience, Just like any nationality that requires sponsorship to work and now these visa's are getting much tougher to obtain, as local nurses and graduates cannot find work.

No one ever comes back and reports not having any work/ perhaps one or two that are looking 1 month on having registration, but no one ever posts that they cannot find work. However countries that are given holiday working visa's have very much presence in city hospitals.

However if anyone has experience in theatre, anaesthetics, you will most likely find work, sponsor etc. as this is about the only area with a shortage and this is were many Filipino nurses do the free volunteering and can claim experience in this area.

I believe the national board is also going to get a bit tougher on all overseas education institutions ie: must be Australian university standards and be more careful re real documents right person, so that this may also effect applications.

+ Add a Comment