travel nurse tax question

Specialties Travel

Published

I am a travel nurse who recently was offered a position in the San Diego area . The company offered me $22/hr ( low) but also offered a perdiem rate to go along with it of $17.33/hr . They said this equals about $39 a hour . Is this a good deal or should I stay away from perdiems that are advertised as tax free? What is the going rate in the San Diego area?

You will end up paying taxes on that money, no fun. better to take a job for 30.00 an hour.

First it depends on where you are travelling from. It also depends on how they are paying the $17.---. How they are writing that up. Best suggestion would be to talk to your tax advisor. It can work to your favor to have the split amount. It always did for me.

I am hoping someone can help me get more information on the tax free housing stipend.

Do the companies give this housing stipend as a seperate check? If so, do they give you a 1099 at the end of the year?

I am trying to get this all figured out before starting something new.

Thanks!:imbar

I believe that that if you take the stipend, you will have to document your

actual expenses and they will be subtracted from the stipend. If you have money left over after paying for your living expenses, that is taxed.

Further, you must have a "home base" meaning you have to have some type

of proof that you actually "live" in another place, and are working "away from

home:.. YOu may have to prove you pay rent, utilites, receive mail or have mail forwarded to you from this "other" addess.

There is information on the IRS site and other tax sites concerning reimbursed

travel away from home, etc. This is where I got the above info but I'm not

an accountant and haven't finished researching the tax implications of travel nursing.

I'd do some research first if I were you and THEN go to an accountant. It can be A LOT cheaper if you go to them with previous knowledge. Also, there are many tax publications that can help.

Turtle,

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it. I will visit the IRS site to research.

Again, thanks!

I believe that that if you take the stipend, you will have to document your

actual expenses and they will be subtracted from the stipend. If you have money left over after paying for your living expenses, that is taxed.

Further, you must have a "home base" meaning you have to have some type

of proof that you actually "live" in another place, and are working "away from

home:.. YOu may have to prove you pay rent, utilites, receive mail or have mail forwarded to you from this "other" addess.

There is information on the IRS site and other tax sites concerning reimbursed

travel away from home, etc. This is where I got the above info but I'm not

an accountant and haven't finished researching the tax implications of travel nursing.

I'd do some research first if I were you and THEN go to an accountant. It can be A LOT cheaper if you go to them with previous knowledge. Also, there are many tax publications that can help.

+ Add a Comment