2013 UCSF MEPN Applicants

Nursing Students Post Graduate

Published

Hi everyone,

I'm planning to apply for the 2013 cycle of MEPN at UCSF (application date would be September 1 of this year). I'll be applying for psych/mental health, and it will be my first time applying to this program. I was wondering if anyone else is out there who is applying for the 2013 cycle. I'm hoping we could share encouragement and tips!

Also, there's a thread for 2012 applicants- definitely check that out too. :)

So disappointed about their decision to eliminate the mepn cnm route...

As someone who is expecting to relocate for this kind of program (and had really been hoping I'd get to move to SF for this program!) what others schools is anyone else applying to for this option?

This site has a listing of all known mepn cnm programs, but obviously it now needs to be updated. There are only 20, and most of them are in the middle of the country, where I am less willing to consider moving.

What does anyone think of doing an accelerated BSN option and THEN applying to a cnm program? I really wanted to just enroll in a single program to get through the RN training and the master's portion, but I'm now considering alternative pathways to becoming a CNM.

Specializes in Midwifery/Women's Health.

Hi Sunrunner,

My list of nursing schools are almost all direct entry programs (9 in total) because I want to receive my BSN and become an RN then work towards my masters right after. The only ABSN programs I have on my list are Duke and NYU. Many of the other ABSN programs require soooo many additional prerequsites that I don't have the time to take right now.

I'm not against moving to another state if necessary but ultimately, my goal is to return to California to work. If I don't get into a good direct entry program I will do the ABSN and then reapply for CNM programs. But I'm crossing my fingers for a direct entry program on the first try!

Which ABSN programs are you applying to?

Hi Kdiem,

I am still debating, but if I do apply it will be under Pediatrics. Yesterday I went on a research rampage and my revised plan is to apply to about 10 ABSN (accelerated BSN) programs and become an RN in 12-18 months depending on the program. The minimum experience for Neonatal NP programs is 2 years, so I would need to work in a NICU for that long anyway.

What other programs are you applying to? Because you could do the RN route then apply to UCSF later, or other MSN Midwifery programs. I saw one at Vanderbilt University.

I am also in CA, and going out of state is not that appealing to me as I want to ultimately work in our state. BUT we decided to become nurses because we like adventures and obstacles, right? It's all part of the process to get to our dream jobs.

Good luck on your decision!

I just called the nursing office- they said that actually the entire midwifery program was at risk of ending due to lack of funding, so doing an RN elsewhere and then applying to UCSF might not even be an option in the near future...

July 18, 2012

Hi Serahfarron,

I have applied for Spring 2013 cycle of the ABPNN. I must say that I am somewhat anxious:sniff:. I wish you the best of luck:up:. I am hoping to apply for Psych/Mental Health(AMPNN) right after I have completed the ABPNN:nurse:.

July 18, 2012

Hi Everyone,

Did anyone applied to University of Rochester Accelerated BSN(ABPNN) program for January 2013 Cohert? I am looking forward to talking with those of you that applied:no:. I am a little nervous:rolleyes:. I am a non-traditional student. This will be my second career.

@myelin:

Thank you so much for posting all that information. It was very helpful. I am applying to the UCSF MEPN for 2013 (Advanced Practice Public Health Nursing). I working on my goal statement and I'm struggling to figure out what they mean by "your understanding of the nursing profession". I'm not sure if they want me to just demonstrate that I understand the different roles of a nurse or maybe that I am up to date on the current trends in nursing and health care policy. Clearly, you did something right on yours. I would really appreciate any input. I tried to PM you, but I guess I need 15 posts first. oh well. :)

Anyone else applying to Advanced Practice Public Health Nursing for the 2013 cycle?

Anyone interested in the Global Health minor?

*BREAKING NEWS FOR MIDWIFERY MEPNS!!!!* UCSF has just been granted extra funds to ACCEPT MEPN MIDWIFERY APPLICANTS FOR 2012/2013 application cycle! I just wanted to share the happy news as soon as possible (we JUST found out).

The application should reflect this change within a few days, I have been told. I am a current MEPN (midwifery specialty) so PM me if you have any questions. Good luck!! And please, spread the happy news!

Hello everyone applying!

I'm a bit nervous with the application process considering it's only open for 2 whole months. That means to say.. if I take the GRE within the last 5 days before Sept 1st, I don't know if they'll cut me out if they dont see my scores by the deadline. I know I'm a tad late taking the GRE.. but I recently stumbled upon the program and didn't realize how soon the application closes but still want to give it a try.

Any thoughts on this?

Hi Joaniiieh31,

I know UCSF is pretty strict about having EVERYTHING submitted and in by the deadline. This year's deadline is on September 4th. My friend's transcript had some delays coming in because she graduated mid-August and UCSF had to put her application on hold because of this. I would call in and double check before rushing to take the GRE. If you can't make their deadline, I would probably give more time to studying for the GRE, unless you feel ready :) Good luck!

Hi everyone,

That's excellent news about the Midwifery program, for all you midwife-types. (I'm going for the Adult-Gerontology NP myself.)

I have a question about the online app's recommendation page. Does anyone know how we can tell when UCSF has received our recommendations? One of my recommenders said she already submitted her letter but I don't see any sign or note to that effect on the UCSF recommendations page. I hate to harass my recommenders. Do any of your apps show recommendations received?

Also, just FYI, I was reading last year's UCSF MEPN thread and a UCSF staff member told one of the applicants that the Personal Statement should not be more than 1 page (double spaced). You CAN write more but she strongly recommended that you stop at 1 page. (The Goals statement should be 2 pages, double spaced.)

Cheers!

Hi scwolf,

For the UCSF recommendations status, if you look at the bottom of the writer's information, it shows "status" with an update if your recommender has indeed submitted their letter for you.

example: Status: This recommendation was received on _______

or Invitation Sent: Tuesday July 24th 2012 5:25pm

Status: You cannot make changes to this recommendation because the invitation has already been sent.

And for the personal statement it says we can use 4,800 characters which ends up to be way more than a page double spaced. I've actually used ~4,700 characters. I just don't know why she would say stop at one page even though they give us the option to write more =\

I hope that helps! UCSF is my number one choice! I can't believe they don't do interviews until January even though their application is due the earliest!

+ Add a Comment