- NCLEX Pass Rate 87
- Location Cincinnati, Ohio
- Programs BSN, DNP, MSN, RN-to-MSN, RN-to-BSN, Entry-Level BSN, MSN-to-DNP, MSN to PhD, CRNA, CNM, NP, PhD, BSN-to-PhD, Accelerated BSN, Post-grad Certificate, Other
- Visit Website Click For More Information!
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
The BSN program at UC College of nursing consists of general education courses, nursing courses, and clinical hours for nurses. Freshman year, students will complete the pre-nursing general courses.
All high school students will apply directly to the nursing major, where they will compete for direct admission into the BSN major. After first year pre-nursing courses are completed, students may apply to fill open spots going into the sophomore year. Nursing students will begin nursing clinicals and course work in the sophomore year, which takes three full-time years to complete.
Requirements (not all inclusive)
- Recommendation for applicants to have a minimum of 23 ACT (or 1070 SAT)
- The minimum high school GPA that will be accepted for direct admission is a 3.00
Registered Nurse – Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN-BSN)
This is an online program for nurses who have their Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN) degree or hospital-based diploma and are ready to transition to a Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
What are some of the reasons why I should consider the RN-BSN program?
- Degree completion with only 9 core nursing courses - keeping you engaged in nursing content
- Flexible completion schedule of 9, 12 or 18 months - at your pace
- One advisor from start to finish - you’re never alone
- No hidden tuition costs or fees - cost up front and never changes
- Credit transfer from your previous program - no need to retake courses
- Leadership-focused curriculum - preparing you for managerial roles as a BSN-prepared nurse
- Classes are fully online with a community- and/or population-focused project completed near you
Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (ABSN)
For those who have earned a Bachelor's degree in another field and want to become an RN, the Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (ABSN) program is the most logical choice.
Phase I - Undergraduate pre-requisite phase consisting of foundation courses for the program. The courses can be completed by:
- transferring credits from your existing degree
- testing out of course(s)
- completing additional course work
Phase II - Qualify for placement based on the criteria above. You can then be placed in the next available Phase II cohort. There are only 40 Cohorts that start Phase II, twice a year. Phase II is the full-time RN pre-licensure phase taking place over 4 consecutive semesters. This phase combines coursework and clinical rotations in local hospitals. Students are awarded their Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree at the end of this phase and have the option to continue into the master’s portion, which is Phase III.
Phase III - Master’s phase of the program. All students who complete the BSN degree can apply for Phase III with the exception of anesthesia students who will apply separately. You must be working because most specialty areas require work experience. Students typically enroll part-time in the MSN program while gaining the professional foundation needed to advance in their master's level courses and clinical experiences. At the end of this phase, students who fulfill requirements are awarded a Master of Science in Nursing degree and will be eligible to take any applicable advanced practice certification exams in their specialty area(s).
Graduate Certificate in Nursing Education
Our Graduate Certificate in Nursing Education is an online program developed due to the need for faculty for nursing programs. Those who have the interest in teaching are prepared to become educational leaders in academic and practice settings.
Through the certificate program, students learn the key concepts to teaching and learning, program development, assessment, evaluation, and other aspects of the educational process in nursing.
This program prepares the post-baccalaureate student for academic roles in higher education while completing master’s and doctorate-level courses. Students who complete this certificate at the post-baccalaureate level may be eligible for roles in staff development, nursing assistant programs, licensed practical nurse programs (LPN), and clinical instruction/precepting.
The graduate certificate in nursing education program will provide educators with specialty preparation required for the National League for Nursing (NLN) examination for certification as a Nurse Educator (CNE). Educators must meet additional eligibility requirements as outlined by the NLN.
As a result of state boards of nursing and the Department of Education (DOE) Higher Education regulation changes, the University of Cincinnati College of Nursing will no longer be accepting applications for the online Graduate Certificate in Nursing Education from students residing in the following states:
- District of Columbia
- New York
- One academic year, typically with two courses per semester
- Flexible schedule is flexible
- Content is delivered exclusively online
Master of Science in Nursing (MSN)
- Adult-Gero Primary Care NP Online
- Adult-Gero Acute Care NP Onsite
- Adult-Gero Primary Care NP Onsite
- Family NP Online
- Family NP Onsite
- Neonatal NP Hybrid
- Nurse Anesthesia Onsite
- Nurse Midwifery Online
- Occupational Health Hybrid
- Women's Health Online
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
The Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) is developed for nurses who want to excel as a leader in the healthcare world.
The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) to DNP program offers a unique opportunity for bachelor’s-prepared nurses to obtain both a master’s level and DNP education in a shorter time span.
For nurses who have a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN), UC offers a post-MSN to DNP program.
- Adult-Gero Acute Care NP
- Adult-Gero Primary Care NP
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Nursing Administration
- Nurse Anesthesia
- MSN to DNP
- Pediatric Primary Care NP
- Pediatric Acute Care NP
- Psychiatric Mental Health NP
The University of Cincinnati Nurse Anesthesia program is one of the oldest nurse anesthesia programs with a long history of academic and clinical excellence.
NOTE: The University of Cincinnati has recently transitioned to a BSN to DNP program for nurse anesthesia.
The length of the program is 36 months (nine semesters) of full-time study. Clinical experience begins in the third semester to allow students to integrate and apply concepts learned in the classroom.
Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)
Students interested in the research side of nursing and medicine will benefit from a PhD. The educational development of this program is based on the science that shapes nursing practice. This program prepares students to develop their own program of research, collaborate with interprofessional teams, and disseminate findings to the scientific community through publications and national and international venues.
The PhD program at the University of Cincinnati is a face-to-face onsite program. Students participate in research practice under the guidance of senior scientists to develop their skills as researchers.
The program requires a minimum of 90 semester hours beyond the BSN degree and 60 semester hours beyond the MSN degree.
UC College of Nursing offers both BSN to PhD and MSN to PhD schema options.
Research Focus Areas
- Vulnerable populations and health disparities
- Chronic and comorbid conditions
- Occupational Health
- Adult-Gero Acute Care
- Adult-Gero Primary Care
- Family NP
- Family NP Online
- Neonatal Hybrid
- Pediatric Acute Care
- Pediatric Primary Care
- Psych Mental Health NP
The baccalaureate, master's and DNP programs at the University of Cincinnati College of Nursing are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
The University of Cincinnati, Nurse-Midwifery Program is fully accredited by the ACNM Accreditation Commission for Midwifery Education (ACME).
The University of Cincinnati College of Nursing Nurse Anesthesia program is fully accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs (COA).
The University of Cincinnati and all regional campuses are accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC).
US News & World Report (2019)
- #147 (tie) in National Universities
- #102 (tie) in Best Colleges for Veterans
- #130 in Best Value Schools
- #10 (tie) in Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs
- #69 (tie) in Best Online Bachelor's Programs
- #6 in Best Online Graduate Nursing Programs for Veterans
- #61 (tie) in Best Nursing Schools: Master's
- #50 (tie) in Best Nursing Schools: Doctor of Nursing Practice
- #22 (tie) in Nursing-Anesthesia
- #38 in Nursing-Midwifery
- #189 (tie) Best Global Universities
- Best Colleges for Nursing in America #31
- Best Big Colleges in America #60
- Top Public Universities in America #67
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in America #95
- Colleges with the Best Professors in America #161
- Best Colleges in America #188
- Best College Campuses in America #188
- Colleges with the Best Academics in America #212
- Best College Locations in America #259
- Most Conservative Colleges in America #405
- Best Value Colleges in America #435
- Most Diverse Colleges in America #458
- Top Public Universities in Ohio #3
- Best Big Colleges in Ohio #3
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in Ohio #4
- Best Colleges for Nursing in Ohio #4
- Colleges with the Best Professors in Ohio #6
- Best College Locations in Ohio #7
- Best Colleges in Ohio #9
- Best College Campuses in Ohio #9
- Most Diverse Colleges in Ohio #10
- Best Value Colleges in Ohio #16
- Most Conservative Colleges in Ohio #22
- Best Colleges in Cincinnati Area #1
- Best Value Colleges in Cincinnati Area #3
- #319 Top Colleges
- #107 in Public Colleges
- #150 in Research Universities
- #67 in the Midwest
- #211 America's Best Value Colleges
The Princeton Review (2018)
- The Best 384 Colleges
- Best Midwestern
- Green Colleges
MONEY Magazine (2018) ranked Cincinnati University #618 in Best Colleges For Your Money.
CollegeChoice.net and BestColleges.com listed Cincinnati University #8 in Best Colleges in Ohio (2018).