- Location Los Angeles, California
- Programs BSN, DNP, MSN, RN-to-MSN, MSN to PhD, CNL, CNS, NP, PhD, BSN-to-PhD, Accelerated BSN, Other
- Visit Website Click For More Information!
The University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA), is a public institution that was founded in 1919.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
The BSN program at UCLA will prepare the student for a career in nursing, over the course of four years. Throughout the course, students will have classroom and clinical time. At the end of the four years, the graduate will be eligible for the NCLEX-RN exam and then be eligible for state licensure as a Registered Nurse (RN).
Master's Entry Clinical Nurse (MECN)
This program is geared for those who have a baccalaureate degree in a specialty other than nursing.
UCLA School of Nursing offers this option as part of their Master of Science in Nursing degree (MSN) program. This is a unique approach to the RN degree. It offers students who have a Bachelors in another field, entry into the MSN program and in the end take the NCLEX, become an RN and have a MSN.
The graduate has the option to take the certification exam for the Clinical Nurse Leader or Public Health Nursing.
Clinical Nurse Leader
The graduate level nurse will oversee the care of patients on different hospital units. Most do not have direct care with patients. Instead they work behind the scenes collaborating with social workers, physicians and other healthcare personnel.
Public Health Nursing
The public health specialty trains the nurse to understand the public health sector in the State of California of maternal-child health, including communicable diseases, screenings and more.
MSN Advanced Practice
After achieving a BSN, and becoming an RN, the nurse can apply and specialize in the following specialized subcategories:
- Adult/Gerontology Primary Care
- Adult/Gerontology Occupational and Environmental Health Nurse Practitioner
- Adult/Gerontology Acute Care Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Adult/Gerontology – Dual Nurse Practitioner and Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Family Nurse Practitioner
- Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
- Pediatric Clinical Nurse Specialist
- Pediatric – Dual Nurse Practitioner and Clinical Nurse Specialist
Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing (PhD)
This is geared for the student who has completed the advanced practice degree and desires to pursue further training, specializing in research.
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
The Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP), starting in the Fall of 2018, is a clinical practice degree program for working professional nurses and is a 7-quarter/61-quarter unit program. A DNP Scholarly Project is required. The program is for graduates of a prior Master's or post-Master's program who have completed 500 clinical practice hours to prepare for an advanced practice role (clinical nurse specialist, nurse practitioner, or nurse executive). Students will be required to be on campus for coursework five days a quarter supplemented with online requirements. In addition, second year, students will carry out clinical hours at their place of employment to complete their Scholarly Project.
2018 NCLEX Pass Rates
- BS - 96.23%
- MECN - 95.16%
Accreditation and Approval
The Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC) is the regional organization that provides umbrella accreditation for UCLA as a whole.
The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredited the bachelor's and master's degree programs.
The pre-licensure (BS and MECN) and advanced practice master's programs are approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing.
The UCLA School of Nursing is approved by the Undergraduate and Graduate Councils of the Academic Senate of the University of California at Los Angeles.
US News & World Report (2019)
- #19 (tie) in National Universities
- #4 in Best Colleges for Veterans
- #85 in Best Value Schools
- #23 in Most Innovative Schools
- #1 in Top Public Schools
- #20 (tie) in Best Nursing Schools: Master's
- #13 Best Global Universities
- Best College Campuses in America #2 of 1,408
- Top Public Universities in America #3 of 672
- Best Big Colleges in America #4 of 131
- Best Colleges in America #29 of 1,647
- Most Diverse Colleges in America #54 of 1,592
- Best Colleges for Nursing in America #57 of 599
- Best College Dorms in America #60 of 1,370
- Best College Locations in America #92 of 1,553
- Best Value Colleges in America #98 of 1,590
- Most Liberal Colleges in America #100 of 687
- Best College Campuses in California #1 of 82
- Top Public Universities in California #1 of 46
- Best Big Colleges in California #2 of 23
- Best Colleges in California #5 of 116
- Best Colleges for Nursing in California #6 of 37
- Best College Locations in California #8 of 100
- Best College Dorms in California #10 of 72
- Best Value Colleges in California #11 of 104
- Most Diverse Colleges in California #14 of 109
- Most Liberal Colleges in California #15 of 61
- Best Colleges in Los Angeles Area #4 of 59
- Best Value Colleges in Los Angeles Area #6 of 50
- #46 Top Colleges
- #8 in Public Colleges
- #28 in Research Universities
- #9 in the West
- #1 America's Best Value Colleges
UCLA ranked #9 in the Times Higher Education World Reputation Rankings (2018).
UCLA ranks 11th in the Academic Ranking of World Universities by ShanghaiRanking Consultancy, based on faculty publications and citations and the number of alumni and faculty who have won major awards (2018).
Edited by sirI