- NCLEX Pass Rate 94
- Location Irvine, California
- Programs BSN, DNP, MSN, Entry-Level Master's, Entry-Level BSN, NP, PhD, BSN-to-PhD, BSN-to-DNP, Other
- Website URL Visit Website
The University of California, Irvine (UCI), a public institution, was founded in 1965. The UC Irvine program in Nursing Science was established in 2007.
Baccalaureate in Nursing Science (BS)
The bachelor’s degree in nursing science is a traditional four-year program. Upon completion of the program, graduates receive a BS degree and are prepared to take the NCLEX-RN national exam and be eligible for RN state licensure.
UC Irvine School of Nursing will accept qualified student applicants who have completed relevant military education and experiences, have met the admission requirements, and who present documented equivalency courses.
45-unit LVN Option for Registered Nurse Status
Licensed Vocational Nurses (LVNs) who are interested in the 45-unit LVN option for achieving Registered Nurse status should make an appointment with Nursing Science Student Affairs to discuss completion of the required courses. Passing the required courses will allow the student to sit for the National Licensure Examination (NCLEX-RN), but students will not receive an academic degree.
MEPN - Master's Entry Program in Nursing
This program is designed to offer graduates of non-nursing baccalaureate programs direct entry into an accelerated master's degree program, providing students with the ability to autonomously practice nursing as an MS-prepared nurse upon graduation.
Graduates qualify to take the national licensing examination (NCLEX) for Registered Nurses and be eligible for certification as a public health nurse.
Admission requirements (not all inclusive)
- Baccalaureate in a non-nursing university program from a regionally accredited institution
- 3.0 minimum GPA in baccalaureate degree
- Completed prerequisites (as outlined by the School of Nursing with a grade of 'C' or better from a regionally accredited institution
Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP)
The BS/MS to DNP with Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP) concentration is a 3-year, interactive, hybrid program. An RN with a BS or MS in Nursing seeking a terminal-level, practice-focused degree, and certification as a family nurse practitioner should apply.
Students will be required to complete a capstone scholarly project. Graduates will also be eligible for national certification as Family Nurse Practitioners.
NP students are required to complete their DNP APRN practicum in California with preceptors who have been vetted and approved by UCI DNP faculty. Students can recommend preceptors who they have worked with for consideration. UCI School of Nursing will also coordinate preceptors as part of the practicum assignment.
Application Criteria (not all inclusive)
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) from a recognized academic institution with a degree standard equivalent to those of the University of California
- Minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0
- Active and unrestricted California RN license
- Worked full-time for one-year (or a minimum of 1800 hours) as an RN in the U.S.
- Completed Inferential Statistics with a grade of 'B' or higher within 5 years of admission
Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing (PhD)
This is a 4- to 5-year program utilizing hybrid format with both online, synchronous, and in-class learning opportunities.
Application (not all inclusive)
- BSN or MSN with degree standards equivalent to the University of California
- Current RN license
- 3.2 or higher cumulative GPA for undergraduate work and a 3.5 or higher GPA for graduate work
- Completed a course in descriptive and inferential statistics (completed within the last five years) and a graduate-level nursing research course
Accreditation and Approval
UCI is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
The bachelor's in nursing and master's in nursing programs are accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
The School of Nursing is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN).
The School of Nursing's Nurse Practitioner program is approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing.
US News & World Report (2020)
- #33 (tie) in National Universities
- #13 (tie) in Best Colleges for Veterans
- #124 in Best Value Schools
- #45 (tie) in Most Innovative Schools
- #7 in Top Public Schools
- #87 (tie) in Best Nursing Schools: Master's
- #78 in Best Global Universities
- Best Big Colleges in America #29 of 131
- Top Public Universities in America #30 of 672
- Best Value Colleges in America #114 of 1,590
- Best Colleges in America #118 of 1,647
- Colleges with the Best Academics in America #138 of 1,591
- Best College Campuses in America #186 of 1,408
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in America #221 of 1,542
- Best College Locations in America #407 of 1,553
- Top Public Universities in California #5 of 46
- Best Big Colleges in California #6 of 23
- Best Value Colleges in California #12 of 104
- Best Colleges in California #14 of 116
- Colleges with the Best Academics in California #18 of 114
- Best College Campuses in California #20 of 82
- Colleges with the Best Student Life in California #23 of 98
- Most Diverse Colleges in California #33 of 109
- Best College Locations in California #44 of 100
- Best Value Colleges in Los Angeles Area #7 of 50
- Best Colleges in Los Angeles Area #9 of 59
- #96 Top Colleges
- #22 in Public Colleges
- #51 in Research Universities
- #21 in the West
- #3 America's Best Value Colleges
UCI is rated as "Best Regional College" by The Princeton Review, 2018.
MONEY Magazine ranked UCI #3 Best Colleges For Your Money (2018-2019).
UCI ranks 13th among U.S. public universities for graduate salaries, according to PayScale's 2017-18 College Salary Report.
The 2017 Academic Ranking of World Universities places UCI 34th in the U.S. and 64th globally.
The New York Times ranked UCI #1 as "doing the most for the American dream".
Edited by sirI