Harford Community College (HCC) is a public institution founded in 1957.
Associate of Science in Nursing (ASN)
The Associate of Science in Nursing degree program is designed to prepare students for the licensure examination for Registered Nurses (RN). The course of study includes both theory presentation and supervised clinical laboratory experience at affiliated healthcare agencies. There are pathways for the High School student to enter the program.
Students will practice in the Nursing Skills Lab and Simulation Center using high-fidelity simulation to allow them to experience real-world scenarios in a simulated environment. Graduates are eligible to sit for the RN-NCLEX and then be eligible for state RN licensure.
Admission (not all inclusive)
- Official transcripts from other colleges
- Grade of 'C' or better must be earned in all prerequisites
- Minimum 2.5 GPA on the courses applicable to the Associate of Science Degree Nursing program
- Complete TEAS testing with a minimum score of 58.7
- Submit satisfactory health evaluation
- Proof of health insurance
LPN to RN
Licensed practical nurses (LPN) seeking to complete an associate's degree and attain RN licensure must apply for the LPN to RN transition program.
Admission (not all inclusive)
- Grade 'C' or better in prerequisites
- Current, unencumbered Practical Nursing license (LPN)
- Official copies of ALL undergraduate transcripts
- Official ATI TEAS scores taken within the last 2 years
- Criminal background check
- Drug screening
Day Accelerated Admissions
Students may consider applying for this accelerated option if they have already completed a majority of pre-nursing courses and are able to be a full-time Summer student. Nursing course progression for the accelerated option begins in May of one year and concludes in August of the following year. Summer attendance is required.
AS in Nursing to BS in Nursing (RN to BSN)
Harford Community College's 2+2 articulation agreement with Towson University in Northeastern Maryland (TUNE) along with the TUNE building on our campus, enables students to earn both their associate degree and their bachelor's degree without leaving Harford County.
Students interested will meet with an advisor to coordinate their academic plan and to make sure all of the required courses are met. Once they earn their associate degree at Harford, they walk across the road and start their bachelor's program at TUNE.
Agreements for Nursing
- Frostburg State University
- Notre Dame of Maryland University
- Stevenson University
- Towson University
- University of Maryland School of Nursing
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does the Nursing program take to complete?
Once a student is admitted into the Nursing Program it will take 4 semesters to complete.
For the traditional student, without interruption, the program will take two years to complete. Courses will be completed during the fall and Spring semesters, without Summer nursing coursework.
For the accelerated student, without interruption, the program will take 15 months to complete. Coursework will be completed during the Summer, fall, Spring and Summer semesters.
NCLEX Pass Rates (2018)
- Harford Community College (Associate) - 92.79%
- Towson University (BSN) - 90.07%
Accreditation and Approval
The Associate Degree program at Harford Community College is accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).
Harford Community College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
Towson University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
The baccalaureate degree in nursing program at Towson University is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
The Associate of Science in Nursing program at HCC is approved by the Maryland Board of Nursing.
BestColleges.com listed HCC in their "Best Community Colleges in Maryland" (2019).
- Best Community Colleges in America #80 of 868
- Best Community Colleges in Maryland #5 of 16
- Best Community Colleges in Baltimore Area #3 of 5
- The 3rd Best Community College in Maryland
- #15 Community College in The South
- #55 Community College in USA
- 3rd Best Nursing Community College in Maryland
- #8 Nursing Community College in the South
- #36 Nursing Community College in the USA