Published Nov 18, 2004
Just watched a pretty funny movie about a guy w/cancer and his experiances in the hospital...Of course, there were several nurses present, all of which fell into a stereotypical nurse type:
1. "The Big Black-Take NO Crap" Nurse: Always an overweight black woman w/attitude. Definitely has an "I know best" demeanor, and utterly no-nonsense.
2. "The Overly Optimistic (but bungling) PHillapino" Nurse: Very polite, very happy, willing to do anything, but usually messing it up.
3. The "Drop Dead Gorgeous Sexually Inappropriate" Nurse: Wearing a sexy classic RN mini-dress, longing stares at handsome patients, lots of touching pts, and always w/sexy siren smile.
4. The "I Just Do what they tell me" Nurse: Doing everything exactly by the book, word for word- unintelligent, and unable to think for herself (they were filling out paperwork and she asked HIM if he had any unexplained vaginal bleeding)
5. The "Motherly" Nurse: Older woman, wise in her years, able in her job. Acts more like a surrogate mother than a nurse.
So, I have only been a nurse for 3 yrs, but have never met anyone who fits these descriptions (I'm a peds persons). I know stereotypes are just that- and the whole point of the movie was to be funny, not a political statement of any sort. I also know that recently an Herbal Essence ad was removed r/t complaints b/c of it's portrayal of a nurse(#3?).
SOOOOOO- Do you think these sterotypes are harmful? What do they mean for us as a profession? Do we need to rectify this situation somehow, or just accept it as a new classic archetype in the world of fiction?!? Do we laugh it off, or do something? What do you think about these 5 stereotypes in particular- can you add any more?
Tweety, BSN, RN
Stereotypes of any group are wrong. They don't do us any good. Particularly the nurse vixen sex object.
Roy Fokker, BSN, RN
I'm male. And a nursing student.
I'll give you one guess as to what stereotype hits me the most....
I swear to God/heavens/ that the NEXT time somebody asks me :: "Oooh! You are a nursing student?! Have you seen "Meet The Parents"?" I don't know what I'll do to them.....
PS :: Although my username here resembles Ben Stiller's charecter, it is by no means related
check out this website it is great!
Create well-written care plans that meets your patient's health goals.
This study guide will help you focus your time on what's most important.
Choosing a specialty can be a daunting task and we made it easier.
By using the site, you agree with our Policies. X