Restraint Free environment

  1. I'm looking for a manufacturer of some thick foam padding to stick on the floor around beds... theyre usually vinyl covered... nice and bouncy?
    Any ideas--- we used them in LTC, but never in the hospital... we used to call them 'landing pads'

    Lemmie know!
  2. Visit CashewLPN profile page

    About CashewLPN

    Joined: Feb '01; Posts: 1,632; Likes: 44
    Licenced Practical Nurse, Long Term Care. Certified wacko. Captain Star Command. Sous Chef, Sculpter,maid, Cert. Butt wiper,secret agent,thief,Level Seven Mage.Lover, hater,musician at large.Starving artist, ME ME ME ME ME


  3. by   Talino
    Depending on how it is used the mat can be called as a fall cushion, exercise mat, therapy table mat, bedside mat, camping mattress, etc. Regardless, it is a vinyl covered foamed mattress about 3 inch thick and up. They do absorb pressure well.

    Brand: QualCare Multifunctional Mat

    ....altho I'm sure there's plenty of vendors out there. It will probably cost less if you get it other than medical suppliers.
  4. by   DAB
    At our facility, community developmental disability respite center, we use thick kindergarten mats and/or bean bags. The bean bags can be stacked in such a way to cushion head and hips and also discourage movement without calling for assistance. Also those with fall/seizure hx are kept in plain sight of staff at all times usually in our living room setting. When they're up ad lib we can easily detect their movements and redirect to a safer environment. Also in movement for those with severely unstable gaits, we sometimes form a train, staff the engine and client as the caboose. These options work well with us but if you have any other ideas let me know.
  5. by   CashewLPN
    thanks for the idea! very cool!