Jump to content

Rady Children's PCA



This may be a dumb question, but does anyone know the difference between a House sitter/ House PCA and unit PCA for Rady Children's? Is a house sitter similar to home health and the unit PCA similar to a CNA on the floor?

Looking to apply here pretty soon and I wasn't sure which would be a better fit for me.

meanmaryjean, DNP, RN

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia. Has 40 years experience.

I'm guessing 'house' means 'float'. Meaning you go where they tell you on a daily/ hourly basis vs. being assigned to a specific unit.

Ah, that makes sense, thank you so much for your input!

Hey! At my hospital, a sitter often has a CNA cert but does not do many of those duties. They are paid less, and are "safety techs". Work mostly with BHU, and you literally "sit" in the room with them to ensure they don't harm themselves and sometimes provide some basic care. They sometimes use them post-op as well if patients are disoriented when waking up so they don't try to pull out lines or get combative. Sitters at my work are often are just trying to get in to the hospital so they can transfer to a PCA job or something else. I'm in SD as well so I would think our lingo is similar amongst different hospitals. Hope that helps :)

@drd18 Thank you so much for your reply! When I saw "house sitter" I thought it may be similar to a sitter job. I've tried contacting the hospital but it can be difficult to get through during the times I am available to call. I'm definitely looking to get my foot in the door because I will be done with nursing school next year, and I've heard how beneficial hospital work can be!

Thank you again :)

Thank you again :)

No problem!! Yeah the title "sitter" is confusing and I personally think a little condescending to the patient, sounds like baby sitter. Haha good luck with your search and finishing out nursing school!