Question re: NAFTA

World International


Hello everyone. I am going to be a RN shortly, looking to relocate from the US to Canada. I was reading this info earlier on the Canada immigration website.:

Does below mean I am only considered temporary in Canada? I thought I could get a permanent working visa under NAFTA? If anyone could pls clarify...thanks!

Where to Apply: NAFTA/CCFTA Professionals may apply for an employment authorization at a Port of Entry (except for citizens for Chile), at a visa office abroad, or from within Canada if the applicant is already in Canada as a visitor.

Duration: The duration of NAFTA/CCFTA Professional status is for an initial period of one year. An unlimited number of one-year extensions may be subsequently obtained, provided that the employment is truly "temporary" in nature


6,620 Posts

No, you have to renew your visa every year just like Canadians in the US do so it is considered temporary. Many people I know make a bit of a holiday out of it ("Sorry boss, I need a week off to go to the border and renew my visa:)"). It isn't generally a problem though. You're only permanently allowed in Canada if you go through the whole immigration process to become a landed immigrant or a citizen.


165 Posts

The letter you bring to customs needs to say that the employer is employing this person temporarily for a year. Each year you can be employed "temporarily" for a year by the same employer.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

By using the site, you agree with our Policies. X