Jump to content

Possibly Moving to NM

Posted
by peds_luv peds_luv (New) New

Hello! I am a PCU RN with 3 years of experience. I am considering relocating to NM! I am from South-central Indiana. So far, I’m looking at Santa Fe. I have never been to NM. I have family in NM, but I don’t want to live in Hobbs. My deceased father grew up in NM, which is part of why I am thinking about going there. I also have family in Texas and California. I’m super excited to take a trip to NM this fall/Winter. Albuquerque sounds like it has some high crime, but I will probably drive through there too, just to check it out.

 

Any recommendations? Any hospitals or cities in NM that you recommend? Thank you so much! 

Emergent, RN

Specializes in ER. Has 28 years experience.

My son lives in Sandia Park, which is about the half hour drive to Albuquerque. He's up near 7,000 ft elevation. I go there at least once a year since I have a couple of grandkids there too.

I like New Mexico, but there aren't enough bodies of water for me. There's also quite a bit of land that is basically inaccessible unless you are Native American.

It's really cool where my son lives, there are a lot of junipers and pinon trees. It's a lot cooler in the Summer up there, and they get significant snow every year but not enough to be totally annoying.

Albuquerque is a very livable City. It's a lot smaller than the big cities, it has a lot to offer. The Sandia Mountains are really cool and there is a very small ski resort up there that is open on Friday Saturday and Sunday. I skied it once when I visited my son and it was decent.

Outside of Santa Fe there is Ski Santa Fe. That is a bigger Resort but still pretty homey and not humongous. The rates are reasonable and it's not a big destination like Taos. 

Santa Fe is more expensive and more snooty and pretentious. If I were to live there I would probably move to Sandia Park which is more rustic and not totally ritzy.

I also of course love Northern New Mexico which is very similar to Southern Colorado. It's got a lot of nice areas.

 

1 hour ago, Emergent said:

My son lives in Sandia Park, which is about the half hour drive to Albuquerque. He's up near 7,000 ft elevation. I go there at least once a year since I have a couple of grandkids there too.

I like New Mexico, but there aren't enough bodies of water for me. There's also quite a bit of land that is basically inaccessible unless you are Native American.

It's really cool where my son lives, there are a lot of junipers and pinon trees. It's a lot cooler in the Summer up there, and they get significant snow every year but not enough to be totally annoying.

Albuquerque is a very livable City. It's a lot smaller than the big cities, it has a lot to offer. The Sandia Mountains are really cool and there is a very small ski resort up there that is open on Friday Saturday and Sunday. I skied it once when I visited my son and it was decent.

Outside of Santa Fe there is Ski Santa Fe. That is a bigger Resort but still pretty homey and not humongous. The rates are reasonable and it's not a big destination like Taos. 

Santa Fe is more expensive and more snooty and pretentious. If I were to live there I would probably move to Sandia Park which is more rustic and not totally ritzy.

I also of course love Northern New Mexico which is very similar to Southern Colorado. It's got a lot of nice areas.

 

Thank you for your insight! I don’t really want to live somewhere very expensive & pretentious. I’m looking for something in the middle. I’m not even sure I’ll make this huge move, but I’m thinking about it! My mother passed away Aug. 2020, and I have family in Texas, NM, & California. I read that Santa Fe has a good hospital that nurses enjoy working at so that’s really the main reason I was thinking Santa Fe. It’s really hard to know, without spending some time somewhere! I’m looking forward to hopefully exploring the state, soon! I live in a college town - Indianapolis is too big for me, if that says anything! That’s part of why I wasn’t really looking at Albuquerque. Speaking of Native American culture, I love it, am not actually Native American though my great-great grandma on my dad’s side was Cherokee. 
 

In my spare time, I want to hike, see the mountains, rock climb (I was really into rock climbing about 2 years ago at a local climbing gym), see White Sands, and enjoy the Mexican cuisine. I read in an article that NM is ranked the #5 best state for nurses to work in!! That also caught  my eye! Thanks again & we’ll see what happens!

Emergent, RN

Specializes in ER. Has 28 years experience.

Totally coincidental to my son moving to New Mexico, I lived there for two years with my first husband back in 1977-79. My first son was born there with the help of a lay Midwife named Elsie Sanchez. She also had a job at the welfare office as a social worker. She was a really cool lady who was born to a Mormon family in Wyoming or South Dakota, of Spanish descent.

If you are into Native American culture it's a great place to be. The Pueblo Indians have probably maintained their culture more than many other tribes, since they still reside on their ancestral land.  It is definitely an interesting part of New Mexico.

I like both Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Actually, Santa Fe is one of my favorite places. I like it better than Taos. I’ve heard good things about the hospital in Santa Fe too and there are also Indian Health Service jobs there. I love IHS and retired after living on the Navajo Rez for many years. Lots of good hospitals in ALB too. I have a friend that lives there and loves it. There is a light rail that goes from ALB to Santa Fe. Good luck!

On 6/8/2021 at 10:43 PM, Emergent said:

Totally coincidental to my son moving to New Mexico, I lived there for two years with my first husband back in 1977-79. My first son was born there with the help of a lay Midwife named Elsie Sanchez. She also had a job at the welfare office as a social worker. She was a really cool lady who was born to a Mormon family in Wyoming or South Dakota, of Spanish descent.

If you are into Native American culture it's a great place to be. The Pueblo Indians have probably maintained their culture more than many other tribes, since they still reside on their ancestral land.  It is definitely an interesting part of New Mexico.

That is awesome that your son was born with the help of a midwife! Interesting stuff! Well I am looking forward to at least visiting NM this fall/Winter 😊 Probably around November or December. 

On 6/8/2021 at 11:50 PM, jobellestarr said:

I like both Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Actually, Santa Fe is one of my favorite places. I like it better than Taos. I’ve heard good things about the hospital in Santa Fe too and there are also Indian Health Service jobs there. I love IHS and retired after living on the Navajo Rez for many years. Lots of good hospitals in ALB too. I have a friend that lives there and loves it. There is a light rail that goes from ALB to Santa Fe. Good luck!

My dad grew up on a Navajo reservation in New Mexico! Good to know of someone who lives and works in Albuquerque & enjoys it. Thank you! I am looking forward to a new start! I have a lease on my apartment that goes till June next year so I have some time to figure things out.