Jump to content

Periop training, OR...help!! Texas

Operating Room   (300 Views | 6 Replies)
by KABEL97 KABEL97 (New) New

150 Profile Views; 5 Posts

I just can't understand why there aren't more training programs. I tried for 2.5yrs to get into an OR residency. No luck. Even only 1 interview out of 6 major hospitals in Texas. I cannot find a dedicated periop training program in Texas, they are all lumped into regular residency programs. Does anyone know if the dedicated programs just offer the program without further employment commitment? I can't move to another state right now, so I will need to return to Texas after training. Also, what about periop training modules on the AORN site? Any OR nurses in here that have done it, had success finding a job, or anything similar?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rose_Queen has 15 years experience as a BSN, MSN, RN and specializes in OR, education.

12 Followers; 4 Articles; 9,469 Posts; 110,090 Profile Views

Not TX, but in my facility new grads must complete both the nursing residency program and our OR orientation, which includes AORN Periop101. You may want to reach out to a recruiter to discuss what the orientation to the OR would include- while you would still complete the residency requirements, there should still be another structured orientation.

(I also moved your post to the OR forum for more relevant replies)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 Posts; 150 Profile Views

22 minutes ago, Rose_Queen said:

Not TX, but in my facility new grads must complete both the nursing residency program and our OR orientation, which includes AORN Periop101. You may want to reach out to a recruiter to discuss what the orientation to the OR would include- while you would still complete the residency requirements, there should still be another structured orientation.

(I also moved your post to the OR forum for more relevant replies)

For new grads correct. But I'm referring to experienced nurses who don't have to do a residency. I already have 1+ yr experience. Thanks for moving it. I couldn't find the OR forum. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rose_Queen has 15 years experience as a BSN, MSN, RN and specializes in OR, education.

12 Followers; 4 Articles; 9,469 Posts; 110,090 Profile Views

Ah. Are you only searching for OR residencies? We do not refer to ours as such. It's just orientation. No other terms for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 Posts; 150 Profile Views

1 minute ago, Rose_Queen said:

Ah. Are you only searching for OR residencies? We do not refer to ours as such. It's just orientation. No other terms for it.

To my knowledge, it's the only way to get in here in Texas. All other OR positions require experience. Hence, looking for a peri-op program. I see many in the north, or southeast, but none here. How did you start? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rose_Queen has 15 years experience as a BSN, MSN, RN and specializes in OR, education.

12 Followers; 4 Articles; 9,469 Posts; 110,090 Profile Views

I applied for an open position. It did not state experience required and the training program was provided for all of us new to the OR nurses and even the surgical technologists who want back to school to become nurses completed parts of the program as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tiggertiffany has 3 years experience as a ADN, RN and specializes in Telemetry/Med-Surg/Periop101.

30 Posts; 1,713 Profile Views

On 4/29/2020 at 6:26 PM, KABEL97 said:

I just can't understand why there aren't more training programs. I tried for 2.5yrs to get into an OR residency. No luck. Even only 1 interview out of 6 major hospitals in Texas. I cannot find a dedicated periop training program in Texas, they are all lumped into regular residency programs. Does anyone know if the dedicated programs just offer the program without further employment commitment? I can't move to another state right now, so I will need to return to Texas after training. Also, what about periop training modules on the AORN site? Any OR nurses in here that have done it, had success finding a job, or anything similar?

I can tell you I’m in Florida and only 2 hospitals on my coast offer the program. I’ve applied 31 times and with 3+ years of RN experience I just got offered a position. So my advice is to keep applying regardless of how many times you’ve applied. If this is your passion keep applying. I know it’s hard but when the timing is right you will get your opportunity 💪🏻 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.