Jump to content

Perinatal Palliative Care


Specializes in OB. Has 10 years experience.

Does anyone work for a facility that offers this? It might also be referred to as perinatal bereavement care. Basically, offering a trained counselor or other professional for couples to go to when they have been diagnosed with some type of terminal fetal defect or miscarriage or stillbirth. I work in a fairly small, community hospital, but near some larger centers, and I don't know of any in my area. Seems to be a large need for this.


klone, MSN, RN

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership. Has 15 years experience.

Yes, one hospital I've worked at in Denver had one nurse who specifically dealt with bereavement support for pregnant women and their family. This was a large facility that accepted all the weird, high risk transfers and antepartum, so she was kept busy, between IUFDs, SABs as well as fetal anomalies incompatible with extrauterine life.