Jump to content

Orthopedic surgeon looking for advice for a friend

by Bull's eye Bull's eye (New) New

I am an ortho resident and my best friend is finishing his ARN in SE Kansas. We plan to work together and he just told me that he is considering becomming a nurse practitioner. Now, what would he have to do to get to that point, and be able to do H&P's, follow ups, D/C summaries, rounding and first assisting. Does any NP program do? or does it have to have certain requisites to qualify. I ask because there was one NP in the practice I am going to join that worked as an OB NP then went to ortho and was unable to practice as an NP and I have no idea why. I just don't want my friend having to go through the schooling if he is unable to use it. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

NurseyBaby'05, BSN, RN

Specializes in Neuro/Med-Surg/Oncology.

I think when you become a NP, you must specialize right away. I was speaking to the PA that I see at my PCP's office. I eventually want to get my Master's, but I'm not sure in what. We were discussing the differences in scopes of practice and the biggie was that as a PA, if she wants to leave the doctor's office and switch to emergency medicine or another field , she can. Whereas, if I become a Family Practice CRNP, I want to switch to critical care for example, I can do that as a RN, but not working as a Critical Care CRNP. I would have to get another master's degree. So what it boils down to (or what it seems to boil downto to me anyway) is that a MA covers a broader range of care and a CRNP is more specialized toward one particular field. Hope that helps.

prmenrs, RN

Specializes in NICU, Infection Control. Has 42 years experience.

I think you should look for an NNP program. Check out universities in his area. A lot of time they are Masters degree level. People often get a 2fer. Therefore, he may need a BSN.

This topic is now closed to further replies.