my wife is a Pinay nurse

  1. I hope someone here can help guide us in the correct direction.
    My wife has lived in the United States for 5 years.
    She graduated with a BSN in the Philippines 13 years ago
    she took the national nursing exam once right after she graduated
    & scored 74% in one section but passed all the other sections on the national exam.
    due to the fact that she had younger siblings attending college at the time
    her family was running short on money so instead of retaking the exam 6 months later she
    accepted a job in a Manila hospital. Therefor she is not an RN in her home country.

    years later her & I married & she moved to New Hampshire which is my home state.
    New hampshire will not allow her to sit for the NCLEX
    so she has taken an LNA & then last year an MNA class

    After speak with the head of the nursing dept. at the local college
    she was urged to sit for the NCLEX in either Texas or California & then go
    work in one of those 2 states for a year , then to apply for license in the state where we live. the reason the head of the nursing dept. gave is that they only accept 12 nursing candidates per year & if my wife takes one of those seats some other person will be left out & she also stated that after looking at my wife's transcript that "you are just wasting your time & your money here"

    so has anyone here taken the NCLEX for either Texas or California but lived in another state?

    thank you for your help

    PS: i am just a boat mechanic & know nothing of nursing, any help will be greatly appreciated
    Last edit by piglett on Jan 6
  2. Visit piglett profile page

    About piglett

    Joined: Jun '10; Posts: 22; Likes: 4
    from US


  3. by   Silverdragon102
    Why will the state not allow her to sit NCLEX?
  4. by   piglett
    because she is not an RN in her home country. each state has their own rules
  5. by   juan de la cruz
    Just want to clarify that when you were told to take the NCLEX in CA or TX, that means applying for an RN license in either CA or TX by taking the NCLEX-RN then working in those states for a period of time until your wife meets the work experience requirement in NH.

    She doesn't need to live in CA or TX to apply for a license in those states. She can also take the NCLEX-RN anywhere including her home state of NH even if she applied for a license somewhere else.

    That said, I would go with the state that doesn't have the hardest requirements for foreign educated nurses - CA is not that state! foreign educated nurses have had a hard time getting eligibility to test here. TX might be a better option.
  6. by   caliotter3
    Your post does not make it clear that you understand that the NCLEX is the NCLEX, a national, not a state exam. She can take the NCLEX at home for a license application from TX. Once she has a TX RN license, she can go there for work if that is what she wants to do. She should check the NH license by endorsement requirements to insure it is necessary for her to work in TX.
  7. by   juan de la cruz
    It seems like, based on the NH BON website, that foreign educated nurses are required to have experience to be eligible for RN endorsement, hence, the advice to work out of state for a period of time prior to coming back. It is not clear in the NH BON website whether the issue of her not being licensed in the Philippines will matter much when she endorses her license to NH.
  8. by   babykatenurse
    Lets talk on the phone. I can advise you