Canadian uk trained nurse moving back to Canada

  1. Hi everyone,

    I'm in need of a lot of guidance. I am a Canadian living in the uk. I have just finished my nursing degree and am currently waiting for my pin. A few weeks ago I found out about a serious family problem that has caused me to re-evalute my living situation and I have decided to move back to Canada. My question is will I be able to work as a nurse in Canada, having just graduated and not having any expereince working as a RN (only as a healthcare)?

    Thanks for any help!
  2. Visit ginamak profile page

    About ginamak, BSN, RN

    Joined: Jan '13; Posts: 3


  3. by   joanna73
    You will need to apply to the Province you wish to be licensed in, and they will assess your education. After the assessment, you must apply for, write and pass the Canadian Registered Nurse Exam. (CRNE).
  4. by   NotReady4PrimeTime
    As silverdragon102 will attest, nurses trained in the UK often are required to obtain further education in pediatrics and mental health before they can be registered here. Registered nurses in Canada are generalists upon graduation and have been educated in medicine, surgery, maternal-child (obstetrics), pediatrics and mental health as part of their basic nursing education.
  5. by   Silverdragon102
    Many UK nurses and in fact many International Educated Nurses are having to go through some form of assessment and even do some courses before the Provincial college will give eligibility to sit CRNE. As mentioned your transcript must show both clinical and theory hours in Paeds, Obstetrics, Adult and Mental Health