So background: I'm a RN, BSN with just over that 1 year of coveted Med-Surg experience in a big city hospital, primarily ortho, neuro and general surgery. I love what I do and I love my co-workers, but I'm on the search for greener pastures because:
1) I really want to be off nights because I'm tired of being tired all the time
2) I want to expand my skills and see new things (like tele, as I'm a non-tele nurse)
3) There's been some management changes and things have been tense
So I've applied and interviewed and these are my options:
1) Nights in a Cardiothoracic Surgical unit in my big city hospital
2) Days Float Pool in a smaller, but related hospital in my current network
Both positions will have me learn tele and I'd develop new skills, and I'm not quite sure if I'm super interested in cardiac or not (as it's not something I've dabbled in), but my mentor (assigned by the union) says I should give the cardiac unit a shot, and even if I walk away in a year I'd have a good education there. But I really desperately want to be on Days because I can barely sleep and I feel like I'm losing my mind. My mentor thinks I'm too young for Float Pool, but she's never worked with me because she's a Charge nurse on the chemo unit.
So naturally: I'm asking strangers on the internet for their two cents.
I vote for days because you want off night shift. I floated as a new grad, never had any problems. I'm biased because I love floating. I think your one year of med/surg experience is sufficient.
You will definitely develop a lot of new skills.
Many nurses, maybe your mentor for example, hate floating.
Definitely the day position.