Foreign Grad Wants to Take NCLEX in CA

  1. Dear Nurse Beth,

    My name is Roger, i am 24 years old and i have done the general nursing diploma 3 years. Session (2012-2015) I am a registered male nurse in Pakistan and i want to take the NCLEX-RN exam in California. Just need your brief guidance about the whole process. Thank you!

    Dear Roger,

    Congratulations on completing your nursing studies.

    To apply to the California (CA) Board of Registered Nurses (BRN) for authorization to take the NCLEX-RN you will need a social security number or individual taxpayer identification number.

    You will complete the "Application to Apply for Licensure" form found on the CA BRN website, and submit:

    • Fingerprints
    • Any required fees
    • Passport photo
    • Request for transcripts from your nursing school
    • Copy of your RN license or diploma

    Once the BRN has received your transcripts, they will evaluate your courses for content equivalent to that of an accredited nursing program in California. The transcripts must be in English and in original language, if not English. The curriculum must have included instruction and clinical practice in five content areas: Medical-Surgical, Obstetrics, Pediatrics, Geriatrics, and Psychiatric-Mental Health.

    The BRN may request confirmation of English comprehension.

    Note: In California, passing the Commission of Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) exam is not required.

    Once you have submitted all of the above, the BRN will respond with either a letter of deficiency, eligibility, or non-eligibility.

    Hope this gives you the brief guidance you needed and enough to get started.

    Best wishes,

    Nurse Beth

    Author, "Your Last Nursing Class: How to Land Your First Nursing Job"...and y
  2. Visit Nurse Beth profile page

    About Nurse Beth, MSN, RN

    Joined: Mar '07; Posts: 1,382; Likes: 4,120