Filipino Enrolled Nurse Wants to Become Staff Nurse in Another Country

  1. Good day Nurse Beth,

    I am a Filipino nurse who is working as an Enrolled nurse here in Singapore for 3 years and 5 months now (2012-present). Before I became an enrolled nurse, I was a Staff Nurse in the Philippines for 4 years (2008-2012). I'm about to end my contract here this coming August and I would like to transfer to other countries (preferably New Zealand or Australia) to become a Staff Nurse again but I don't know if I'm still eligible to apply because of my current position which is Enrolled Nurse. I miss being a Staff nurse and I want my career back because I believe that I can do more in caring patients if I am a staff nurse. What do you believe is the best action that I should do?

    Dear Enrolled Nurse,

    Here are the steps:

    • Submit an application to the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) for your qualification assessment. They will review your nursing school, experience and GPA and tell you if you meet eligibility for a Registered Nurse or an Enrolled Nurse. Enrolled nurses are not eligible for permanent residence but can apply for a working visa.
    • If your qualifications meet Australian standards of a Bachelor's degree in Nursing you will be eligible to complete the College of Nursing Assessment for registered nurses.
    • Filipino nurses must take and pass the English Language requirements (IELTS test) with a score of 7.0 or above in each of the four modules (reading, listening, speaking & writing)
    • You may be referred to take a Nursing & Midwifery Board of Australia (NMBA) approved study program. Generally this is a bridging program which is accredited by the Australian Nursing and Midwifery Accreditation Council (ANMAC) and is also called an Entry Program for Internationally Qualified (EPIQ) Nurses

    So really, the only way to know is to apply. Being from the Philippines, you have a Bachelor’s degree, which is good, and your work experience will be factored in as well. Good luck!!

    Best wishes,

    Nurse Beth

  2. Visit Nurse Beth profile page

    About Nurse Beth, MSN, RN

    Joined: Mar '07; Posts: 1,382; Likes: 4,120


  3. by   Michellelyn
    Hi nurse Beth!

    I have a pending application for NMC UK and have received an eligibility. However, it has been more than week already and I have not received any ATT yet. I have emailed the NMC but no reply yet. I cannot call their office for I live overseas and it is very costly on my part. Can you advice me regarding this matter?

    thank you.
  4. by   Nurse Beth
    Hi there, I am sorry, i don't have experience with NMC UK. Can you try posting in the international forum? Maybe someone there can help you. Best, Nurse Beth
  5. by   qnutkjw03
    Hi nurse beth.. im a enrolled nurse also here in singapore.. im planning to apply in dubai.. will they credit my experience here as enrolled nurse...?? Thank u
  6. by   khemkumari
    Hi, how are you? I am internationally educated Nurse. I have passed my nclex RN last week. i want to enroll in RN to BSN program. what should i do next?
  7. by   cmmedina25
    Hi nurse beth, im presently working in Saudi Arabia as staff nurse for almost 4 years and applied for NCLEX-RN my question is can i use my tourist visa to take my exan in Texas? Thank you ma'am
  8. by   Nurse Beth
    Quote from cmmedina25
    Hi nurse beth, im presently working in Saudi Arabia as staff nurse for almost 4 years and applied for NCLEX-RN my question is can i use my tourist visa to take my exam in Texas? Thank you ma'am
    I'm sorry, I do not have information about visas. I would check with the Texas Board of Nursing (BON) for their requirements to obtain an Authorization to Test (ATT) for the NCLEX as the requirements vary state to state. Please check out the World Nursing
    topics. Best wishes