relocaton/transfering license info needed - CONFUSED

  1. Hello All,

    Happy New Year to you.

    I was wondering if some of you could help answer some questions for me or lead me to a forum that can assist. I live in NJ and was accepted to Jan 06 program ADN - RN. My husband and I have been talking and decided to relocate to Raleigh or Greensboro, NC when I finish school. I've been trying to figure out how I'm going to do this.
    1- Work a year in NJ for experience then move to NC? If anyone have information on how to transer my license and how long it will take please let me know.
    2- Take and pass NCLEX in NJ then immediately move and transfer license to NC? Am I able to do that?
    3- Move to NC rent, find a Job then search for a home?

    My husband wouldn't have a problem find a job. But I just don't know what to do. My husband just agrees with just about everything I suggest and I'm sure some of you knows how that goes.

    Please Help me!! PLease.

    enjoying life & - Confused

    Last edit by LuvEnjoyLife on Jan 17, '06
  2. Visit LuvEnjoyLife profile page

    About LuvEnjoyLife

    Joined: Nov '05; Posts: 6


  3. by   Brickman
    When you graduate from nursing school you can take the nclex for North Carolina at that time. The Nclex is the same for all the states, just put North Carolina down on the paperwork instead of where you are.
  4. by   LuvEnjoyLife
    Thanks exactly what I needed to know.

    I found the website that help a little as far as the endorsement was concerned. But your information is what I needed to know.
    Thanks again,
    enjoying life
    Last edit by LuvEnjoyLife on Jan 17, '06
  5. by   suzanne4
    Just so that you know, you will not be transferring your license, if you get it in the original state. You will just be getting a second license.
  6. by   Aneroo
    I checked, and NJ is not one of the compact states, so you can't go that route.
    But like another poster said, when you register to take the NCLEX, you put down what state you want the license in. However, this means you'll need all your moving down here ducks in a row first!
  7. by   suzanne4
    Even if it was a compact state, if the nurse moves their residence from NJ, then the compact part of the license becomes void. This is something that most do not understand. The Compact License was created for nurses that worked in border states, so that they would not need several licenses, but they are required to keep their legal residence in the one state that issued them the Compact License. If they move out of state, the Compact License no longer is any good. It will state same on the license as well.
  8. by   LuvEnjoyLife
    thanks everyone for you help.
    I'm going to apply for my license in NC during my move process.
    It will be a lot on my plate but I'm sure I'll be able to handle it, hopefully.

    again thank you,
    enjoying life
    Last edit by LuvEnjoyLife on Jan 17, '06
  9. by   Patty5854
    Hi! Just a word of caution--if you work in North Carolina, such as Charlotte, but live in South Carolina (there are many nice small towns just over the border, and the property taxes are much cheaper) you will need a SC nursing license. This cost me $135, as I obtained a NC license and didn't need it. Even the recruiters from Carolinas Health Care system, where I presently work, didn't know about this new "rule." I lost 3 days of work waiting for my temporary SC license. Good Luck!
  10. by   LuvEnjoyLife
    that's good to know. Thanks Patty5854.
    My hubby and I are actually going down in May for two weeks to visit NC, Charlotte, Raleigh and Greensboro.

    thanks again.