Jump to content

New to Emergency Nursing

Emergency   (1,020 Views | 2 Replies)
by jnav115 jnav115 (New) New

979 Profile Views; 3 Posts

Hello!

I am going to be starting a job in the ED after working 1.5 years in a Neuro ICU. I'm hoping that the ED will broaden my horizons and allow me to see more - and overall become a better nurse. What kind of skills can I expect to improve? Any advice in making the switch? I liked ICU nursing, but I found that the particular population burnt me out quite quickly, and a lot of pathologies that I encountered were similar (this was my first job out of nursing school) Ultimately, I didn't want to become too specialized this early in my career.

I am not sure where I want to land just yet! I was also told that ED nursing can be beneficial for a future as a Family Nurse Practitioner in terms of assessment skills and seeing the entire lifespan. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

I am excited for this new adventure and will take any advice that anyone has in being a successful ED nurse!

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

zmansc is a ASN, RN and specializes in Emergency.

867 Posts; 11,257 Profile Views

The ED follows the 80/20 or 90/10 rule whichever you like. 90% of your patients will be 10% of the diseases.... You will get good at these rather fast and put them on cruise control. The trick with those is to make sure you still rule out the other conditions that popup ever so rarely. The other 10% will be from the other 90% of diseases, and these will rear their ugly heads only when you are most busy and don't have enough time to really enjoy them and wrap your head all the way around them. However, if you thrive on variety and enjoy chaos, then their is no better place to work than the ED. Good Luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nienna Celebrindal has 12 years experience.

611 Posts; 7,321 Profile Views

However, if you thrive on variety and enjoy chaos, then their is no better place to work than the ED.

Exactly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.