Licensing in Different States

  1. Hi, I am starting my program in May and have a question about licensing. I know we don't plan to live in MO forever, and probably not long after I graduate we'll be looking to move to a different state. Can anyone tell me what you need to do in order to get licensed in another state? Is there an exam for each state, like a bar exam for lawyers?

    Just curious. Thanks.
  2. Visit saymo82 profile page

    About saymo82

    Joined: Sep '08; Posts: 51; Likes: 14
    Emergency Department Staff Nurse


  3. by   Nurse2be26
    To get licensing information on another state, check out that state's board of nursing - try googling. I know some states are part of a compact where your license is valid in multiple states (i.e. VA, NC, SC, CO, etc), but Missouri is not part of this compact. From my understanding, you usually have to pay a fee to receive "licensure by endorsement" in that state. You do not need to retake your NCLEX though once you pass and NCLEX is the same for all states. Hope this helps! :-)
  4. by   listener
    Maybe the following link will help you:

    You can get to each state's board of nursing.
  5. by   BeccaznRN
    You will only need to take NCLEX when applying for your first nursing license (in whatever state you choose). After you have a license in that first state, you can apply for endorsement to any state you wish at any time. You don't even have to live in the state at the time - you just fill out the application provided by the state's board of nursing, submit all required documentation and fees, and you will be good to go. It sometimes takes awhile to receive a license so the sooner you can start the application process before you move, the better off you'll be.