Jump to content

Looking for an internationally recognized university


Hi there,

I am a Canadian looking to get a degree outside of Canada (preferably Australia or NZ) but I am hoping to be able to work in Canada right after. Are there any universities that are recognized by the CNA in which the degree I get would allow me to work right away in Canada? I know I would have to take the CRNE, but I don't want to have to take any supplemental courses.

Thank you!

loriangel14, RN

Specializes in Acute Care, Rehab, Palliative.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to be foreign educated if you plan on working here? Nursing varies from country to country.Doing your education and clinical placements here would acquaint you with Canadian nursing and make the process easier when you are trying to find work.You would always be considered a foreign trained nurse and have to jump through all the required hoops.


Has 18 years experience.

Factor in the expense of being an overseas student anywhere in the Commonwealth. As far as I know, student loans won't be granted for overseas education

I have always been very interested in studying abroad, and I am also very keen on experiencing a different culture. I would rather be in school in a different country than either travel for a few years and then go to school, or vice-versa. I do however want to eventually move back to Canada and settle down with a more long-term career. I do understand that it would be more expensive, however I would not be looking to take on any student loans anyway. I have been working for a while and have money saved up.

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated!

Nursing education is assessed by provincial regulatory bodies for equivalency to a Canadian nurses education after the education has been completed, you will have no way of knowing if the education is equivalent prior to attending an out of country university.


Has 5 years experience.

"provincial regulatory bodies" assess your nursing lisence they have nothing to do when it comes to the accademic part of your education. that is why we have International Qualifications Assessment Services (IQAS) or World Education Services?