Labor nurse and lactation consultant?


Hi, I am currently a newer labor nurse (9mo experience) with previous mother baby experience. I've been thinking about ways I can further my education and I've considered becoming certified as a lactation consultant. I don't want to work as a lactation consultant necessarily because I love labor and delivery nursing, but I would like to be able to educate breastfeeding mothers. Maybe I could do it on the side while also working as a nurse. Has anyone else done this? What other certifications can I get that will help me as a labor nurse? (Besides all the required certs?)

klone, MSN, RN

14,485 Posts

Specializes in OB-Gyn/Primary Care/Ambulatory Leadership. Has 17 years experience.

Yes, I did this as a labor nurse. I got my IBCLC with no real intention of doing consulting fulltime, but rather, to be a resource to other nurses and the fulltime LCs. I've never regretted doing it.

As a labor nurse, I would highly recommend getting your RNC-OB when you're eligible, and you can also get a certification in advanced fetal monitoring.


412 Posts

Even if you didn't do any private consulting you would be a great resource on your unit getting moms and babes off to the right start from the beginning. By the time moms see an LC they are usually already facing a number of problems. Being an L&D nurse you could play a key role in preventing this problems.


12 Posts

I am an IBCLC and L&D RN. I very rarely work with moms and their breastfeeding skills, because we have a newborn nurse on our floor who does this and as labor nurses, we are extremely busy on our unit (as soon as our patient delivers, we often get a new assignment). However, if I do have time to assist my patient with breastfeeding, I feel like it gives them a fantastic head start. If a mom can establish a deep latch from the very first feed, we can help avoid nipple trauma and pain down the road, which is a huge reason for early weaning. I wouldn't say that IBCLC is very useful for labor and delivery nursing, however. RNC-OB or RNC-EFM would be more practical for this specialty.