Jump to content

Just turned down my dream job...

Career   (2,225 Views 8 Comments)
by Just_Me_2 Just_Me_2 (Member)

Just_Me_2 specializes in med-surg, ER, rehab, neuro, OB.

711 Profile Views; 20 Posts

I am a bit frustrated here, and wondering if I did something wrong.

About 3 weeks ago, I interviewed for an RN position in the CCU. It is absolutely my dream job. I would get to cross train to the open heart unit, and receive tons of skills and training, which is wonderful for a new grad. I thought the interview went very well, and I was really excited about the possibility. I interviewed on a Wednesday, and the nurse manager said she would let me know her decision by the following Thursday.

Well, needless to say, Thursday came and went. I even called and let her know the date I would be taking boards, the 22nd of this month. I left a message on her voice mail a week ago, and when I heard nothing back I just assumed they weren't interested in hiring me.

Meanwhile, I interviewed for a job as an LPN extern in the OB department of another hospital. It isn't my first choice, but still something I thought I would enjoy. I was offered a full time job and accepted, and went in for my physical and drug screen yesterday.

So, today the first hospital calls me with a full time job offer. I was stunned! It had been 3 weeks with no news. I politely told them I was already employed, because I don't feel that I can back out of the other job offer now that I have already been through the physical process.

I just hope I made the right decision. I am very disappointed, and hope it works out for the best with this other job.

Has anyone been through something similar? Should I have kept waiting on this other job, and maybe passed up a good offer elsewhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Are you a credible source? Add your Credentials, Experience, etc.

3 Followers; 36,785 Posts; 96,987 Profile Views

What you described happens all the time. You should have taken more initiative in informing the first hospital about your intentions to look elsewhere; called and verified whether or not you had actually been made an offer or if still being considered, etc. Once it is clear in your mind where you stand with each prospective employer, then you shouldn't get caught up like this. Unfortunately, employers operate on their own schedules and don't take into consideration that the person looking for work needs to get work as soon as possible.

You are always free to back out of an offer to accept another one. But you must weigh the possible negative consequences.

I usually try to deal with one prospective employer at a time and try to have more than one employer at a time so that I don't have to go through this. It has happened to me and even though I wasn't being offered jobs at the time, it was very unnerving on my part to be juggling several "what if's". Of course, this approach (applying with one at a time) can only work as long as you have enough savings to go awhile without full employment.

Your answer is in your last sentence. You can not keep waiting forever. She was supposed to have an answer for you on Thursday. On Friday, it would have been appropriate for you to follow up. Sometimes you have to be the one to take the initiative and pick up the phone and find out for sure. Good luck with your choice. Hope it works out for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just_Me_2 specializes in med-surg, ER, rehab, neuro, OB.

20 Posts; 711 Profile Views

I guess I wasn't clear in my post. I did follow up, or attempt to, at least. I left 2 voice mails, one when I didn't hear back from her, and one last week when I got my date to take boards, telling her I was still interested. When she didn't return my phone calls, I assumed she wasn't interested. Should I have kept trying to call? I was never offered a job by her until today. I didn't want to seem annoying or overly aggressive.

I didn't apply at any other hospitals until last week because I was still waiting for this other one to come through. I interviewed last Thursday and received a job offer on Friday, and went for my physical yesterday.

I would love to take job number 1, but number 2 is a good opportunity as well. Just not my dream job, but oh well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Are you a credible source? Add your Credentials, Experience, etc.

3 Followers; 36,785 Posts; 96,987 Profile Views

I got from your post that you had attempted to get back with them and had left voicemails, unfortunately voicemails are not always reliable. I have left messages for people that "disappeared" into the ozone (usually the ozone of someone in the office). What I was trying to convey was that you should have obtained a clear understanding from the horse's mouth. If you call every other day, that should not be annoying. After all, she was the one who set a deadline and then failed to keep it. Good luck with your offered position. Maybe things are meant to go this way for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wren specializes in Oncology, Hospice, Research.

201 Posts; 3,591 Profile Views

JustMe....I'd stay with the job you've agreed to take and try it. You never know but the "dream" job you didn't take might have turned out to be a nightmare job!:uhoh3:

It's not the same thing but a number of years ago I applied to two places at the same time and was offered both jobs. I took the one that seemed more exciting and more like my dream job to me. It wasn't. It was a for profit place that put new meaning to the words..FOR PROFIT. I stayed only 6 months. The other one might not have been a good fit either...it is hard to tell until you actually work somewhere.

You said this job is good opportunity as well so perhaps it will be for the best. Good luck and don't beat yourself up over making a decision and moving on. :nurse:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Are you a credible source? Add your Credentials, Experience, etc.

2,801 Posts; 13,318 Profile Views

I agree with the others to not dwell too much on the "what if's"... you did what you thought was reasonable, tried to follow up, gave it some time, etc. If you had kept waiting, chances were just as good that there wouldn't have been a job offer and you'd still have had to go out and keep looking. If this other job is something that you're not at all interested in, then drop it. But if it looks good, too, then it just might be! No guarantees one way or another, whether it's your first choice or not.

About 3 weeks ago, I interviewed for an RN position in the CCU.

Meanwhile, I interviewed for a job as an LPN extern in the OB department of another hospital. ?

Would the LPN extern position extend beyond the time you earn your RN license? Does this other job know that you'll be an RN soon? I'm just curious because I've been told that it can sometimes cause problems if you have two different level of licenses - eg facility has to insure you as an RN even if you're functioning in a LPN role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RNOTODAY has 18 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in NICU, ER, OR.

1,116 Posts; 21,065 Profile Views

If it truely is your dream job, and they are offering.... what is stopping you from going? Just resign from this new job,,, lie, tell the truth, say something, and accept the dream job offer. You dont owe any employer anything, and believe me, they know that they dont owe you anything either. It happens all the time...go where you really want to be...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sinagbayan specializes in School Nursing/Med-Surg/ICU.

72 Posts; 1,640 Profile Views

this things really happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×