Jump to content

Johns Hopkins DNP CRNA 2020

SRNA   (93,406 Views | 115 Replies)

Asherah has 10 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in CICU/Trauma/Resuscitation.

8,841 Profile Views; 743 Posts

Here's a thread for anyone who may apply to be be selected to be in the first DNP cohort of the Nurse Anesthesiology program at Johns Hopkins to start May 2020, I hadn't seen one pop up yet.

Per the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs the site visit will take place this fall with an accreditation decision in Spring.  As a JHUSON alum, I'm going to throw my proverbial hat in the ring, even with an accreditation decision pending for a new program.

Good luck to anyone else who may be applying.  I've lived in Baltimore since I came her for school in 2008, so if anyone from outside of the area has questions about JHH, JHUSON or the city in general I'm happy to help!  😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CowboyMedic has 3 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in Medical-Surgical-Neuro ICU.

583 Posts; 11,861 Profile Views

8 minutes ago, Asherah said:

Here's a thread for anyone who may apply to be be selected to be in the first DNP cohort of the Nurse Anesthesiology program at Johns Hopkins to start May 2020, I hadn't seen one pop up yet.

Per the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs the site visit will take place this fall with an accreditation decision in Spring.  As a JHUSON alum, I'm going to throw my proverbial hat in the ring, even with an accreditation decision pending for a new program.

Good luck to anyone else who may be applying.  I've lived in Baltimore since I came her for school in 2008, so if anyone from outside of the area has questions about JHH, JHUSON or the city in general I'm happy to help!  😉

How are they accepting applications without even be accredited yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Asherah has 10 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in CICU/Trauma/Resuscitation.

743 Posts; 8,841 Profile Views

I'd imagine its acceptable to do such things, perhaps by submitting their curriculum content and proposal for coursework.  There's a small blurb about it near the bottom of this page, see link below.  I think this has been in the works for a bit, and of course they have established advanced practice DNP programs as well, so it's not as if they are concerned that they won't receive accreditation. 

https://nursing.jhu.edu/academics/programs/doctoral/dnp/dnp-anesthesiology/index.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CowboyMedic has 3 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in Medical-Surgical-Neuro ICU.

583 Posts; 11,861 Profile Views

9 minutes ago, Asherah said:

I'd imagine its acceptable to do such things, perhaps by submitting their curriculum content and proposal for coursework.  There's a small blurb about it near the bottom of this page, see link below.  I think this has been in the works for a bit, and of course they have established advanced practice DNP programs as well, so it's not as if they are concerned that they won't receive accreditation. 

https://nursing.jhu.edu/academics/programs/doctoral/dnp/dnp-anesthesiology/index.html

$63K a year in tuition? Ouch!!! That will make it the most expensive school in the nation but John Hopkins does have a tremendous reputation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

226 Posts; 6,471 Profile Views

University reputation does NOT guarantee the wellness of a program. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Asherah has 10 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in CICU/Trauma/Resuscitation.

743 Posts; 8,841 Profile Views

6 hours ago, mgfam said:

University reputation does NOT guarantee the wellness of a program. 

I understand and agree with your comment, however I was making the point that there have been several DNP programs in place so the formation of a successful curriculum is possible, not merely the reputation of the university or school of nursing.  Every program that exists successfully now had it's first cohort, and if no one ever applied, how would they begin and evaluate success or identify opportunities for improvement? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Asherah has 10 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in CICU/Trauma/Resuscitation.

743 Posts; 8,841 Profile Views

Update from the JHSON webinar from a few weeks ago in case anyone who is applying missed it: they are seeking to admit 10-15 students in the first cohort and they indicating that the interest was robust in terms of applications trickling in.  Am I really the only one here who is throwing my hat into the ring?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bfreezy specializes in SRNA.

24 Posts; 633 Profile Views

4 hours ago, Asherah said:
4 hours ago, Asherah said:

Update from the JHSON webinar from a few weeks ago in case anyone who is applying missed it: they are seeking to admit 10-15 students in the first cohort and they indicating that the interest was robust in terms of applications trickling in.  Am I really the only one here who is throwing my hat into the ring?

Eh, I just think that the school's price is absurd and you can get into a CRNA school for much less.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

52 Posts; 959 Profile Views

I know someone else is applying.  Since John Hopkins has the #1 nursing graduate school, I am sure it’s going to shoot up to the top in no time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

loveanesthesia specializes in CRNA.

1 Follower; 785 Posts; 13,373 Profile Views

11 hours ago, Jcurious said:

I know someone else is applying.  Since John Hopkins has the #1 nursing graduate school, I am sure it’s going to shoot up to the top in no time.

Those rankings are all but meaningless from the student experience perspective. Especially in the field of nurse anesthesia. In some fields such as law, attending a highly ranked school opens doors. But in nurse anesthesia it’s all about the actual skills/experience that you’ve gained. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

52 Posts; 959 Profile Views

The Johns Hopkins name carries a lot of weight.  At least your kids will have an extra point when they apply college.  Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Asherah has 10 years experience as a BSN, RN and specializes in CICU/Trauma/Resuscitation.

743 Posts; 8,841 Profile Views

I've been a bit surprised and unsure why there seems to be a bit of negativity here or sarcasm maybe regarding name recognition or tuition cost.  Yes, it's a unique situation regarding being the first DNP cohort, but it's still a shot to start a program and JHSON is an ambitious school of nursing.  I'm confident they would never let anyone graduate who was not a competent practitioner.  The clinical sites will offer a wide breadth of experiences.  It's not my first choice program for a few reasons and although I'm an alum I'm very much aware of the benefits and burdens of being a part of a huge institution. 

I was hoping that perhaps this discussion could be for anyone who is applying as we could support each other through the process.  I'm also happy to help anyone who needs information about living in Baltimore, or traveling here to interview in the coming months.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.