What Steps Do I Need to Take?

  1. What steps do I need to take to move myself, my career, and my family to the UK?

    I have considered a temporary work visa but I think I would be more likely to go for citizenship - not entirely sure though.
    I have a husband who is currently in college for a Bachelors degree in Business Management...we would wait until he graduates in 2009 before moving to the UK.
    We also have 2 children - a 6-year-old and a 2-year-old.

    I know there are different grades for nurses in the UK. Would that be an issue?
    I live in the USA and work as an RN at a large hospital (700+ beds). I work there in the Level 1 Trauma Center designated EC. I am going on 5 years experience there with 3 of those years as an RN. I also have ICU experience.

    Any input is greatly appreciated!
  2. Visit RedERRN profile page

    About RedERRN

    Joined: Apr '07; Posts: 31; Likes: 4


  3. by   suzanne4
    First, what type of degree do you actually have? If not at least a three year program, you will be unable to get licensed there.

    The other issue is that they have a hiring freeze in place, many from the UK are getting laid off. It will be very difficult for you to get a visa to work as an RN there, if you do meet the educational requirements. Any jobs are going to nurses from the UK, and then those from the European Union. From the US, almost impossible, unless you have advanced degrees, etc.
  4. by   RGN1
    At the moment most nursing jobs are no longer considered as schedule A jobs in the UK so you would not get a work permit. Some very specialised areas are exempt & I don't know if ER might be one of them but you would have to be a senior clinician at the very least I would think.

    You could look at Scotland though - if you search this forum you'll see I posted a telephone number & info for foreign nurses looking to go there. I'm sure ER/ICU may be one of the areas that they may be looking to recruit to. Once in Scotland you would eventually qualify for UK citizenship & then you can go South if you wanted. They work differently to the UK & have placements for foreign trained nurses. I think you need to go through your NMC registration 1st though (costs about 180 I think) - you can find out that from the NMC website.

    Another place is Ireland - it wouldn't lead to UK citizenship but is another Area you might like to look into. Info will be on the Net somewhere.

    Good luck - though I can't for the life of me think why you'd want to come here! Although Scotland is nice I have to admit - if a little cold at times :-)