Visa Screen Work permit/ Green card

  1. Dear all,

    How long does it usually take from applying the visa screen to receiving the work permit or green card to go to Amercia for work?
  2. Visit Miru profile page

    About Miru

    Joined: Sep '12; Posts: 15


  3. by   Silverdragon102
    Visa screen certificate has nothing to do with actually obtaining a work/immigrant visa apart from stating you meet requirements. You need a employer to apply for work/immigrant visa and then it will depend which you have applied for and if immigrant when your PD is
  4. by   Miru
    Thanks for your reply.

    If I get a job offer and then apply for the visa, which one will proceed faster? and How long does it take?
  5. by   Silverdragon102
    H1b is now finished until April next year when employer can file and if approved you have to go through an interview and can not start work until Oct if passed interview. H1b requires a BSN as a minimum and the job must be advertised as a BSN. Exception is if the facility doesn't have a cap and that generally is university hospitals and not many jobs there for H1b. Immigrant visa will depend on your experience and what category you are in. Most nurses come under EB3 whcih has a wait of voer 6 years and you can not stay in the US and work whilst waiting to be processed
  6. by   uRNmyway
    I dont know where you are from, but if you are a citizen of either Mexico or Canada, the Trade NAFTA work status is also an option. You need the Visascreen certificate (some border crossing officers will also accept the Credentials Evaluation Service), and a very detailed job offer letter. This is a non-immigration visa, so you may be asked to provide proof that you do not intend to immigrate. There is no need for immigration attorneys. There are no requirements as far as the employer needing to prove they tried to hire American nurses. It is not a sponsorship visa, which many employers are wary of. It costs 60$, directly at a port of entry. Basically, when you go through customs and they ask if you have anything to declare, you say you are asking for a TN status. They bring you aside, look at your paperwork, and if accepted, you get your papers right away.
  7. by   Miru
    Thanks for your reply.

    I am from Hong Kong and I have applied for the CVS.
    Because my boyfriend is a US citizen, I want to know is there way that I can go to US to work as soon as I get my NY license...

    It will be such a long time to wait for the H1b visa...
    No other possible ways?
  8. by   Gold2010
    get marry
  9. by   Miru
    Thanks Gold2010,

    Yes, I know it is the fastest way...... lol I hope he will too!

    But, by the way any other possible way?

    I am sure I can't get a employer to hire me before Apr of next year, that's mean I have to wait til Arp 2014?!
    That's just too long to wait... Shocked!

    I think I could take and pass the NCLEX exam next year.
  10. by   Silverdragon102
    Unless you get married and for the right reasons there is no other way except ones already discussed.
  11. by   uRNmyway
    Also, if you are wanting to get H1b, you might want to rethink it. Hospitals right now are doing very little if not NO sponsorships. Speak to a recruiter and they will pretty much hang up on you.
    Think about it: Why spend tons of money on immigration attorneys and paperwork, along with all the time and the legal liability, to hire a foreign nurse with no US nursing experience when there are TONS of American nurses who would give their right arm for a good nursing job right now?
  12. by   Yohanesteban
    Hope is the last thing that you can loose, be focused and don't give up! Your opportunity is coming.... I'm currently in almost the same situation