Prospective nursing education in Europe??

  1. Hey all! A little bit about my situation...So I am a nursing student starting an ADN program. My goal is to become a CNM so consequently, I'm planning to get my BSN in order to attain a midwifery education. The thing is though, I am also planning to move to France.

    I just want to know what my options are. And how would I go about nursing practice in Europe. I would love to hear from people who have experienced nursing in France/Europe and/or those who know the logistics of this whole thing well.

    Some questions I have...
    -Would it best for me to go after I get my RN license? Or after BSN?
    -If I do go after I get my BSN, what are my options for midwifery education in France/Europe?
    -Is it possible to get an equivalent of a BSN in Europe?
    -If not in France, what country would be good to practice or study nursing in? I heard the UK is a common choice.
    -How does a RN transfer their license when pursuing work in Europe? What does the process look like in order to work there?

    Thanks for your answers ahead of time!!! I appreciate the allnurses resource and those who contribute to it!
  2. Visit majerager profile page

    About majerager

    Joined: Nov '17; Posts: 6; Likes: 2


  3. by   Silverdragon102
    UK training is difficult to get licensed with in the US due to their training being specialised opposed to general. Also midwifery is a specialty on it's own with it's own training course. Each EU country will have their own process on getting licensed
  4. by   adventure_rn
    I know literally nothing about France, but I do have some relatives who live in the UK. From what I understand, midwifery isn't even within the scope of nursing in the UK; it's its own separate entity. So for instance, even if you had a CNM degree from the US, you couldn't be a CNM in the UK because that role doesn't exist; you'd have to go back to school to get your midwifery-specific degree and license.

    I can't speak for every European country, but in general, it is very difficult for advanced practice nursing licenses to transfer internationally. Neither the education required to become an advanced practice provider nor the roles themselves are standardized enough across countries to easily transition, at least in the current state of nursing. If living in France is your end goal, it would likely be much easier to move there as an RN and learn what kinds of graduate programs are required to attain your goals than to attend grad school in a different country and realize after the fact that it doesn't transfer.

    Many countries require a BSN (or a 4-year degree equivalent) to practice, so that might be a good place to start investigating when considering prospective countries as well as future academic programs.

    There are some travel nursing agencies that set experienced US nurses up with contracts in English-speaking countries like the UK, Australia, and New Zealand. Contracts can last anywhere from 6 months up to a couple of years. The agencies can help you navigate getting your licensed endorsed in host countries, as well as the often complex process of getting a work visa. You'd need at least a couple of years of specialty experience (for instance, L&D) to be eligible. While you get your two years of specialty experience, you could simultaneously work on your BSN degree online.

    This would be taking things in a slightly different direction, but I've also known travel nurses who take contracts for 6 months a year, save up a bunch of money, and then travel the world for 6 months a year. Some volunteer as nurses during their travels. It wouldn't be equivalent to settling down in another country, but it would give you the flexibility travel around Europe.
  5. by   majerager
    Thank you for the fruitful response! I really appreciate your insight, I had no idea about agencies that could do that.

    I'm definitely planning to do graduate education in France so I can practice as a midwife.

    As for now, I am planning to complete my ADN program in the states. I'm thinking about what I should do after, complete my BSN here in the States or move to the UK and complete it there..? Are your relatives nurses or midwives?
  6. by   majerager
    This is for nursing (as opposed to midwifery), yes? The training you are referring to? So if I were to complete my BSN here and move to the UK, it would be difficult to get licensed?