Obtaining California license---course issues

  1. I am a RN nurse from Austria , did my course there and try to get my license now for California. They told me that I need to do the clinical and theory in Psychiatric Nursing although I had the course but the problem was it was a kind of Sub-subject in specific pathology but I had the theory. The school only has the name "Specific Pathology" written in my transcript with the number of hourse not mentioning the name Psychiatric nursing. Anyway I know that it is justified for the clinical because I really didn't do that one in this specific subject. Now it is a kind of a struggle to find a school in New York (where I live now) which offers this single course and I only found a couple of distance programs in Canada up to now which would require me to travel there. Does anyone have any advise on this? Thank you
    Last edit by suzanne4 on Oct 1, '05
  2. Visit mtroels profile page

    About mtroels

    Joined: Sep '05; Posts: 21


  3. by   suzanne4
    You have a few options that are available to you. You can have your specific curriculum translated and that would give specifics about what you did in your classes. Titles can be misleading, but it will have to be translated from a document provided by your school. And by a certified translator.

    Or you can contact some of the nursing schools in your area and see if you can take the one course as a guest student. Make sure that you tell them guest student, because them you are not taking up a regular nursing slot.
    The only rule is that it needs to be done in an approved school of nursing, you can also check out some of the surrounding states near you.
    Please let me know if you have any more questions on this.