New here and wanting to go to Australia

  1. Hi, I am a recent 27 yr old male graduate of a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (USA) registered nursing program (Drexel University-RN) and will be taking my boards within the upcoming weeks. I was wondering what my options are as a graduate nurse regarding traveling abroad and working in Australia/New Zealand. I would like to know the prerequsites and work required in doing so, as well as any advice or contacts who may be able to give me more information on the topic and ultimately assist in placing me in this longtime wish. Thanks so much and have a great day!
    Last edit by yorigel on Nov 7, '06
  2. Visit yorigel profile page

    About yorigel

    Joined: Nov '06; Posts: 1


  3. by   augigi
    Check out the Australia/NZ boards for info on registration there. First question would be whether you have a 2 or 4 yr degree? 2 year is not acceptable for Australian licensure. You'll need a US license before you can do anything.
  4. by   Tanvi Tusti
    As already stated the Australian NMB will not recognise the 2 year program. If your qualification is recognised, its relativly straightforward registering with the NMB. This link explains how:

    Once you have registered with the NMB its a case of finding a job, there is a national shortage of nurses in Australia, so it shouldnt be too difficult. You can go it alone or through an agency. I went through Professional Connections and cant fault them at all. Very smooth from start to finish. They dont offer any financial support and you do most the work yourself but they do arrange telephone interviews and are at the end of the phone if you need help.
    Good luck
  5. by   guestnurse
    Augigi is wrong. I was an Ass. Degree RN and I lived and worked in Sydney Australia for 3 1/2 yrs. I worked at Westmead hosptial just out of Sydney. Getting a license is so easy there. All i had to do was have my state board send license verification to the NSW board of nursing and when i got to Sydney went to the NSW board of nursing, showed my degree from college I graduated from, my license, birth certificate paid $30 and got my license. THe only problem is either getting someone to sponsor you for a visa or applying for an independent visa. I got Westmead hospital to sponsor me so it was very easy. I had to go by immigration department and do paperwork and within a few weeks had my visa and license. If you have any further questions PM me.
    Last edit by lawrence01 on Jan 8, '07 : Reason: Posting of personal e-mail add. is not allowed for your own security and per Terms of Service of this forum.