Make up courses for US registration

  1. I am currently working as a registered nurse in Brisbane Australia. I want to go to the states to work but before I can even apply I need to make up hours is a couple of areas. I need 40 hours theory and 80 hours practical in an undergraduate course, from a registered nursing school in both paediatrics and obstetrics. I am having absolutely no luck finding courses, except courses where I have to find my own practical placement, this is very hard to do. If anyone knows of any courses that might be suitable, within Australia, please, please, please let me know. Thanks.
  2. Visit Clarissa26 profile page

    About Clarissa26

    Joined: May '04; Posts: 25


  3. by   gwenith
    Try a re-entry course either through Central Qld Uni or through USQ. Other than that have you tried places like the Mater or Royal Womens hospital education centres to see what they have to offer.
  4. by   Clarissa26
    Thanks for your reply, I have tried every University in Queensland, both the Mater and RBWH and even other healthcare training centres. There is nothing that is offered. The only option I have is to approach a hospital and try to get them to provide a practical placement for me, which I do not believe is going to be very easy. Thanks again.
  5. by   Koalablue
    Hi Clarrissa26,

    I find myself in the same position as you - almost. I am in my third year of nursing training, and found out at the beginning of the year my course most likely won't offer paeds or maternity units this year. They previously did.....which is one of the reason I TOOK the darn course! I'm looking to move to the US too and this is kinda cramping my plans (not to mention the plans of the guy waiting patiently for me in California )

    If you come up with a solution, I'd be pleased to hear about it.
  6. by   gwenith
    Hmmm - Have you tried the Wesely???? They have a mid section and a quite active education centre. I know there are re-entry courses for midwives in NSW but I couldn't tell you where.
  7. by   steve0123
    You might want to consider going through an agency instead of doing all the work yourself. Peyton O'Grady (I think thats the correct spelling) were really helpful for me - they put me in contact with a University in Victoria which offered correspondence courses (you organise your own clinical and they will credit it to the course as well). I can't recall which Uni it was as I was quite slack and never followed through with my enquiries, but I do know that there are places with courses specifically for this purpose...
    Hope that helps...
  8. by   gwenith
    Watch out though signing on with a US agency can be fraught with danger - do a good search on the subject here on this site first there is a wealth of information here and you will soon learn which agencies are reputable and which are not. Also Suzanne4 has posted some information over in the international nurses forum that is a must read.
  9. by   suzanne4
    You can also go to the US as a guest student at a university and complete your required classes in just a short time. Plus you get the benefit of having been inside of a US hospital and actually doing a rotation there.

    Americans actually do guest rotations for a semester or longer, if they moved before they could actually get all of their hours done. It is not uncommon here.

    Hope that this helps................
  10. by   Koalablue
    I've been searching high and low for an answer to the fact my uni is NOT going to offer *any* instruction in paediatrics or maternal health. So far I have found this (in the neighbouring town no less!):

    Now in the undergrad nursing program Charles Sturt have this subject available in second semester of third year (both on campus and via distance ed. by the looks of it).

    The associate student program doesn't come cheap ($AU950/8 credit points), so it would be an expensive option. Though cheaper than studying in the US! Did I read somewhere on here that paeds and maternal health didn't have to be taken as `stand alone' subjects? Just that the US requires that you cover the topics at some stage in your studies? I can't remember where I read it now....damn my failing memory!

    At 16 credit points this subject is the equivalent of two normal subjects....but I don't want to try and take an extra subject in my last semester at school, at a price of nearly $2000 if it's not going to be acceptable

    I may have to look into this one more tomorrow!
  11. by   suzanne4
    You have to have an approved number of hours, clinical as well as theory, for it to be accepted in the US. It can be combined with other material or subjects.
  12. by   Koalablue
    Quote from suzanne4
    You have to have an approved number of hours, clinical as well as theory, for it to be accepted in the US. It can be combined with other material or subjects.
    Yes, it's 40 hours of lectures and 80 hours of clinical practice isn't it? Is there an official site somewhere to see this information set down?

    I have an enquiry into Charles Sturt about the subject. It's a semester long subject, and hopefully has a clinical placement associated with it. 80 hours of clinicals is's only two weeks worth of shifts. Is that requirement per topic though? 80 for paeds and 80 for maternal health)? I suppose it would be.

    Not so bad I guess...I just completed 295 hours of clinical this first semester..and that was only for two subjects!
  13. by   suzanne4
    CGFNS has it plus the state where you are considering working...
  14. by   Clarissa26
    Well good news, Deakin University offer makeup courses in both paeds and maternity, $600 a module, with you needing to do two modules for each area. They make these running three semesters per year. They do cover your indemnity insurance, but you must find your own placement. So hope this helps anyone in the same position as me, .